Anyone experienced in converting Apple Industries booths to other software/printers?

sitandsmile
I'm hoping to make contact with somebody who has previously switched the software in an Apple Industries photo booth.  I have installed Social Booth and replaced the printer with a DNP RX1HS, but am having issues getting the ICT A6 bill acceptor to communicate with Social Booth which does have the built-in triggers.  

PLEASE HELP!  I'm so close to the conversion and not paying Apple Industries for their no-added-value proprietary changes to the printer they use.  

On this note: Anyone ever found any success in changing the setting in Smile 2.0 to allow a different printer to be used?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • SomethinXtra
    I'm hoping to make contact with somebody who has previously switched the software in an Apple Industries photo booth.  I have installed Social Booth and replaced the printer with a DNP RX1HS, but am having issues getting the ICT A6 bill acceptor to communicate with Social Booth which does have the built-in triggers.  

PLEASE HELP!  I'm so close to the conversion and not paying Apple Industries for their no-added-value proprietary changes to the printer they use.  

On this note: Anyone ever found any success in changing the setting in Smile 2.0 to allow a different printer to be used?

If it anything like the older Apple Booths the bill acceptor outputs a pulse to tell the computer how much was inserted. The counter was on the booth control board and again if it's like to older booths the control board will need to be replaced with one that includes a counter that interfaces with the software. Computers do not have an input that can be used to count contact closure.

You should be able to look up the model of your Bill acceptor and determine what type of interface it is.

• sitandsmile
    Thank you for the feedback!  The A6 bill acceptor uses pulse or multi-drop bus.  I am currently trying to use an Arduino Uno to receive the pulses and send a keystroke to trigger the software - of course the driver supplied on the website doesn't install right.  I've seen an RS-232 to DB9 cable (my cpu does have an open serial com port); would this be able to communicate the pulse to the software?
  • SomethinXtra

I developed the code for an Arduino type micro (USB) that handles bill acceptor pulses plus buttons to navigate the user interface but it was developed to interface with software I wrote. Just getting geared up to start selling a starter kit for a DIY Arcade photo booth for $500.00.

Kit will contain Control board, connectors, wiring diagrams, software and of course support to help get everything working. Software is a basic arcade photo booth, B&W, Color, passport and a few backgrounds. Right now it only supports a Sony Block camera with a capture card but a future release might support a USB webcam. Depends on sales and customer feedback. 

It will work with several printers but we recommend the DNP DS-40 or RX-1. We talk directly to the printer through a low level USB driver, this bypasses the Windows Print driver interface and gives us allot better control over the print process.

Have heard of some trying to make the serial port work as a DIO input but I wouldn't want to be the one trying to support such an interface. It's pretty limited in number of inputs and one would have to write a serial software interface. Too many variables for something that needs to work all the time every time.