DNP RX1 not always found by computer

KathleenP
HI! I have a photobooth that runs the Photoboof software using Windows 10 and a DNP DS-RX1 printer. There are occasions when the printer is not found by the computer. Sometimes it communicates and sometimes it doesn't. It's basically hit or miss. I could do a test run at home and everything works fine, but then I'll take it to an event, hook everything up and the printer won't print because the computer says it is off line. I have to shut everything down, wiggle wires, plug and unplug, several times and then suddenly the printer will show up as online. Sometimes this can take up to 1/2 hour or more. Does anyone else have this problem? It's very frustrating and embarassing when I'm trying to start an event. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • indy99
    change out your usb cord.
  • jefti
    I had a similar problem. Very stressful when your ready to begin but the computer is not finding the printer. I hired a computer geek to take a .look at it and he couldn't figure it out. But he did observe that for reasons unknown, when I turned on the printer the computer produced a copy of the printer icon in the section devices and printer. In so doing, the "default" computer is often changed and you do not know it. Bottom line, whenever I turn on the printer for the event I have already opened the window of devices and printer. Whether it is the printer listed or a copy that is immediately created, I wait to see which one is grayed out. That's the printer that the computer is identifying. Right click that icon and make it the default.
  • KathleenP
    jefti said:
    I had a similar problem. Very stressful when your ready to begin but the computer is not finding the printer. I hired a computer geek to take a .look at it and he couldn't figure it out. But he did observe that for reasons unknown, when I turned on the printer the computer produced a copy of the printer icon in the section devices and printer. In so doing, the "default" computer is often changed and you do not know it. Bottom line, whenever I turn on the printer for the event I have already opened the window of devices and printer. Whether it is the printer listed or a copy that is immediately created, I wait to see which one is grayed out. That's the printer that the computer is identifying. Right click that icon and make it the default.
    Thank you for your reply. My computer doesn't make a second copy, it just greys out the original icon. And I did change out the USB cord, but it still happens. It seems that I just have to keep turning it on and off until it finally connects. Thanks for your help.
  • indy99
    edited December 2017
    Do you plug the usb cord from the printer into the same usb port every-time?  If you use a usb hub with switches make sure it is turned on.

If you have to wiggle wires to make something happen then it is a connection problem.
  • KathleenP
    No, I plug the cable into a different port. Wiggling wires doesn't always help, it's a matter of plugging and unplugging, shutting down and turning back on both the computer and the printer. I just can't figure out why it keeps doing this. I wonder if it's a Windows 10 issue. Maybe I should try updating the printer driver just in case.
  • indy99
    Plug the printer into the same port every time.  I had the same issue until I realized that it was a port problem.  Since I use a USB hub, I have marked the port where the printer needs to be.  Plug it into a different port and no go with similar symptoms.