What kind of advertising is working for you?

Mike
Curious what is working for others in their respective markets. I am here in north central Ohio and have found really word of mouth, the premier bridal show in the area and website SEO have produced the best results.
I gave Adwords a couple of goes but none of the campaigns yielded any measurable results.
how about you? Any tips on what is and is not working in your area?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • buzzkcphoto
    Mostly word of mouth, but we also have done a couple of charity events. We've been using Adwords and have got a couple of bookings from it (both internet search). We're new enough our ranking hasn't gotten us to the first couple of pages yet, so we'll probably continue Adwords for another few months.

We've also been networking with other event service providers and offering referral fees and have gotten one booking from that.
  • Unknown
    I started out with Adwords and Facebook ads, along with SEO on the web site... that got the first few bookings (at way too low pricing introductory offers). Every print has the website at the bottom; I know I've gotten bookings that way... one just yesterday from a previous event over a year ago.
    I used to pay for placement on some directory sites, like mypartyplanner.com, but I couldn't really track the difference between those bookings and other web searches. Most of the rest are web searches, and even though I'm usually not on the first page of the straight search results, my google places page gets me up there in the local results. If you haven't set up a Place page, do it immediately and get some reviews, but don't fake them. Same goes for Yelp.com.
    Finally, I don't recommend paying for upgraded listings on the wedding sites like weddingwire.com... stick to the free listings, but make sure to get reviews on those sites, at least 3 per year so you can use their "awards" in your marketing materials.
    Strangely, I haven't gotten any bookings from any charity events yet... at least none that admitted to it. Its possible that web searches pulled me up and they remembered me from an event, but still filled out "web search" on my quote form.
    To summarize, I have to agree that SEO, word of mouth, and dumb luck are the most reliable advertising... but I haven't done any wedding shows yet.
  • Mike
    Great insight. Thanks for the share