First round of cut out props, what do you think?

Unknown
So in 2012 I am moving to cut out props. Tomorrow night is the first gig I will be using them at. Here is a photo of the ones I made tonight. what do you think? Can't wait to see the photos tomorrow night personally.

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unknown
    Props were a hit this evening. Best part was they cost under $20 and an hour to make and I just gave them to the client at the end.
  • boothpix
    What are you using to print them? I presume it's just on foam filled card and cut by hand?
  • Unknown
    Yeah pretty much. I created a handful of designs. Printed them on a matte finish paper and adhered them to white foam board.

They were quite a hit and the nursing students love looking through them and laughing at all the phrases.
  • boothpix
    Is this instead of traditional props, hats, masks etc?
  • Unknown
    Yes that is where we are headed with them. We will be making a custom set for each event and doing away with the props kit.
  • boothpix
    Typical, thought I'd have a bash at this for the weekend, seeing as the new booth build has stalled till after Easter. Went to find some card or foam board today - none anywhere and there's no chance getting stuff in the post in time for Fridays event! Have to try elsewhere tomorrow.

Clients love the idea and have already emailed me half a dozen 'pet' phrases they want.

The other thing I like is I've been looking for a reason to start using my 'gathering' dust office laser printer. This could be perfect for it.
  • snapngophotoaz
    Any negative comments on not having any funny hats or glasses?
  • buzzkcphoto
    Great looking props Mike. We've had good luck with simple chalk boards from the craft store and letting guests make their own messages too.
  • alice
    They're very attractive! Not having funny hats or glasses - yea, for me, that's negative. They're a must. Tiaras and boas are a must. And bandanas. People beg me to sell them. Too bad I can't. Now, mini-hats are coming out. They're attached to hair bands. They're too cute! And hair bands with ears -- "big cat" ears, micky/minnie mouse ears. They're coming out of my "hold" box for a big bash in end of April. Can't wait. I reuse all -- cleaner? Simple green. But I do like the Clorox wipe idea: think I should go for those. Thanks!
  • Unknown
    We deal with lots of doctors and health care professionals in our area. Props such as hats, wigs, beards, etc are not terribly popular due to transmission of things such has head lice. While we clean our props before and after each event, we do not clean them between visitors to the booth.
    I am moving away from these type props because as the booth owner you run the risk of being held accountable for the transmission of such nasty things as head lice.
  • boothpix
    Oh dear, I succumbed https://www.facebook.com/BoothPix
  • Unknown
    Nice work. Were they a hit?
  • boothpix
    Went down a storm Friday night and gave us some ideas for more - slight improvements but very similar tonight.

It's amusing to see how creative people are with them. The only annoying thing is they don't always hold them in shot or at the right angle to reduce glare. Will have to research some better matt paper.

Plus best way to display them.
  • scottishmovies
    Some great boards there Jon - but it look sliek the other props were used jsut as much in the end. These are a great way to "say" something in a still image and much better than chalk boards IMO.Might try some myself to see how well they go down.Cheers,Pat
  • boothpix
    Hi Pat - Yes and we are still being asked for 'all' the props and folks do seem to choose a backdrop colour based on how well the props will be seen!

I'm hoping this will really take off so we can reduce what we carry still further, a few boards take up no room at all, the 6-7 large boxes of props on the other hand... ;-)
  • photoJames
    In the States, California specifically chalk boards are no longer used because of the dust hazard.

Some great boards there Jon - but it look sliek the other props were used jsut as much in the end. These are a great way to "say" something in a still image and much better than chalk boards IMO.Might try some myself to see how well they go down.Cheers,Pat