What are the Pros and Cons of a "Pipe and Drape" style booth?

carlrez
I started this whole venture into photo booth rentals because of the good experience and impression I had from the photo booth some friends of mine rented for their wedding. It was a "pipe and drape" setup.
I studied it out of the corner of my eye as they disassembled it at the end of the night. I had asked a few questions but they weren't exactly friendly about answering them so I backed off.
My impression of their booth was that the construction was relatively simple and was probably something a novice builder like myself could handle. As long as the end result (i.e. quality of the photography and the prints) was good, the construction of the booth wasn't too important.
Doing research I see some real "pipe and drape" hating going on out there. (example - http://bit.ly/K5QDGd)
That's one among many "classic style" photo booth sites that promote this "If you hire a pipe and drape booth you're gonna die!" mentality.

I see a lot of good things when it comes to pipe and drape style booths.Fit larger groups into the photoSome design and color options with the drapesWheelchair accessibleAre there any other Pro's to pipe and drape style booths? What about any Con's?
Thanks for the input, folks!

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • funfotostudioz
    That's funny how that site dumps on pipe and drape but actually complains about print quality and equipment which has nothing to do with booth construction. I don't use any walls or curtains at all (open air booth) and guests don't seem to have any problem with it. Some other pro's to consider are that you can setup in places that are not easily accessible to box type booths (narrow or multiple flights of stairs, small elevators) and also accommodate different lighting setups. Cons: Setting up outside in the wind (although the box booths also have difficulty with the curtain blowing into the booth on windy days) and typically you need more space to setup (but customizing to the size available is not that difficult). Some people like the nostalgic feel of a box, some people like non-claustrophobic feel of the pipe & drape...there's demand for both types.
  • alice
    Hey Carlrez - I use "Pipe and drape" I call it my "Cosmpolitan" fully-curtained privacy booth. For a year, the 5x5 pop up sat in the basement while I created my own Assembly-Required pipe system booth (4x6) - I could simply run the pipes through the pockets made in the drapes and the system was a dark color, so not so hard to "hide the pipes". Here are the problems with 5x5 pop-up canopies: they are silver and not easy to hide the color peeking out here and there. They use velcro which can SNAG nicer curtains (I've got the proof). You can't really hang anything that DRAPES nicely because of the XXX across the entire thing. AND if that's not all, the curtains provided by the pop-up companies are not nice curtains.That's ok, problem solved. After a year of fighting with my "Assembly-Needed" replacement, I cut up all the pipes and used them to build myself a new tower -- Open back--Open everything. No more hiding the equipment behind closed doors where it's impossible to manage. I bought a Lenovo pocket-sized keyboard/mouse (runs on 2 AAs) and now I can control everything with ease.I brought out the old 5x5 - and placed screws in the top 4 corners. I covered the velcro with 2 (cut in half) seat-belt pads so it won't snag my great curtains. I bought 4 old-style curtain rods, cut off the curved ends, drilled a hole. Now, I slide the rod through the pockets and place the hole on top of the screws. Voila! 4-sides, draped 5x5 canopy from very top to very bottom (with 84" pocket curtains - cheap, and come in a variety of easily changeable colors). Open-air booth. Draped canopy -- what's "pipe and drape" about that? Don't listen to anyone else. You've got to find what works for you! I"M so happy with my new unit, I don't care what anyone thinks. I had a guy "spying" on me one night and taking photos with his camera of it. Asked me a gazzzillion questions and said he was going to build one himself. Well, I hope he likes to cut and paste!
  • Mike
    Great insight and tips Alice! Thanks for the share.
  • skyhawk
    I like that my pipe and drape booths can go in just about any car and into any venue without worrying about needing a loading dock, etc.. But I do dislike the time it takes to set up the bases, poles, and drapes.
  • Sue
    I am currently converting away from my Pipe and Drape booth. It's a choice that I made when I relocated to a new area. I could no longer imagine being in some of the venues around here banging together the pipes.
  • Mike
    They definitely can be noisy. I actually moved away from the standard pipe n drape setup last year myself. Though my new setup is still very similar.
  • Unknown
    Hey Carlrez - I use "Pipe and drape" I call it my "Cosmpolitan" fully-curtained privacy booth. For a year, the 5x5 pop up sat in the basement while I created my own Assembly-Required pipe system booth (4x6) - I could simply run the pipes through the pockets made in the drapes and the system was a dark color, so not so hard to "hide the pipes". Here are the problems with 5x5 pop-up canopies: they are silver and not easy to hide the color peeking out here and there. They use velcro which can SNAG nicer curtains (I've got the proof). You can't really hang anything that DRAPES nicely because of the XXX across the entire thing. AND if that's not all, the curtains provided by the pop-up companies are not nice curtains.That's ok, problem solved. After a year of fighting with my "Assembly-Needed" replacement, I cut up all the pipes and used them to build myself a new tower -- Open back--Open everything. No more hiding the equipment behind closed doors where it's impossible to manage. I bought a Lenovo pocket-sized keyboard/mouse (runs on 2 AAs) and now I can control everything with ease.I brought out the old 5x5 - and placed screws in the top 4 corners. I covered the velcro with 2 (cut in half) seat-belt pads so it won't snag my great curtains. I bought 4 old-style curtain rods, cut off the curved ends, drilled a hole. Now, I slide the rod through the pockets and place the hole on top of the screws. Voila! 4-sides, draped 5x5 canopy from very top to very bottom (with 84" pocket curtains - cheap, and come in a variety of easily changeable colors). Open-air booth. Draped canopy -- what's "pipe and drape" about that? Don't listen to anyone else. You've got to find what works for you! I"M so happy with my new unit, I don't care what anyone thinks. I had a guy "spying" on me one night and taking photos with his camera of it. Asked me a gazzzillion questions and said he was going to build one himself. Well, I hope he likes to cut and paste!

Great share, Alice! Got any pics?
  • Unknown
    I started this whole venture into photo booth rentals because of the good experience and impression I had from the photo booth some friends of mine rented for their wedding. It was a "pipe and drape" setup.

I studied it out of the corner of my eye as they disassembled it at the end of the night. I had asked a few questions but they weren't exactly friendly about answering them so I backed off.

My impression of their booth was that the construction was relatively simple and was probably something a novice builder like myself could handle. As long as the end result (i.e. quality of the photography and the prints) was good, the construction of the booth wasn't too important.

Doing research I see some real "pipe and drape" hating going on out there. (example - http://bit.ly/K5QDGd)

That's one among many "classic style" photo booth sites that promote this "If you hire a pipe and drape booth you're gonna die!" mentality.

I see a lot of good things when it comes to pipe and drape style booths.

Fit larger groups into the photo

Some design and color options with the drapes

Wheelchair accessible

Are there any other Pro's to pipe and drape style booths? What about any Con's?

Thanks for the input, folks!

I love my "pipe and drape" booth and so does my clients. Besides being wheelchair accessible, and fitting 6-8 people they love the privacy of taking photos and videos inside the booth! :)
  • photoboothking
    They definitely can be noisy. I actually moved away from the standard pipe n drape setup last year myself. Though my new setup is still very similar.

Mike mind sharing your setup