Do you have a clause in your contract for when events start late?

Martica
I do a lot of weddings and they are usually late in getting started anywhere from 15minutes to over an hour.We've been very flexible, but it seems like lately, we are expected to adjust to their schedule. I recently had a weddingstart over an hour late. I'm considering adding a clause to my contract with additional fees.

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • carlrez
    Would an hourly rate apply if you're booked for 4 hours but the event starts late so you're actually there for 5 hours or more?
    I've seen some people that have charges listed on their site as hourly charges. I was assuming the people throwing the event decided they wanted more time to enjoy the booth but now that you ask this question I wonder if it's also to address issues like late starts, etc.
  • Martica
    Still trying to figure this out. Two weeks ago we were scheduled from 7p-11p at a wedding. We were ready at 7p but everything else was delayed and the guests did not enter the reception room until 9pm. The DJ and photographer were kind of expected to stay until 1am but I made the decision to leave at midnight. We were tipped $40.Two hours late is definitely pushing it. I was kind enough to stay an extra hour but in the future am definitely adding something to the contract.
  • Mike
    Wow. I cannot believe that one Martica. We have it explicitly stated when the photo booth will start and stop and that is when it will run. In your case my booth would have been on and open to any guest at 7 and closed at 11. That is what the contract says, that is what they get. Contracts are two-way
  • buzzkcphoto
    That seems a little excessive, but would have done the same depending on how the client was to work with. We have in our contract the start and end times, then state the cost per additional hour rate. We also list whom can authorize the additional hours/changes and either take cash or cc at the time of agreement (prior to the additional hours starting).

I think you also have to consider whom the event is for and if you were recommended. We have one this coming week that we'll probably go above and beyond for, simply because we were referred and are also on the preferred vendors list for the venue.
  • LorneChesal
    In my agreement I use this quote to make my point on timeliness...

"a failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"

Not a literal analogy, but my clients get it. I use my judgment but would consider anything over an hour to be "unreasonable" It's an unfortunate part of providing any wedding service that is tied to the timeline. And being at the end of the day, the little delays add up.

The actual, addressing of this states: "... will use their discretion

about stopping the photo booth service if the agreed upon end time is

missed by more than 15 minutes..." Then I have a checkbox next to "...

we wish to be consulted during the event if extra charges will apply..."

I've never had to use this, but the point is well made.
  • Mike
    In my agreement I use this quote to make my point on timeliness...

"a failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"

Well put Lorne, I have never had to use my clause either. But I do stress timeliness when I meet with the client.
  • buzzkcphoto
    We had an interesting situation this weekend. We were hired for two hours to be part of the guest book. It was a fairly small wedding and they wanted everyone to take a quick session as they came in and sign the guest book with their picture.

They positioned us between the bar and wedding cake, but right where everyone had to walk past us to go to the seating. At the end of our two hours we were getting ready to break down and got flooded as guests came down to watch the cake cutting and get fresh drinks. It was obvious at this point that A) We had no room to break down. B) Both entrances/exits were blocked and moving equipment was impossible. So we made the best of it and hung around for another hour until things cleared up.
  • Mike
    That is an awkward situation. Probably would have done the same myself.
  • Martica
    The actual, addressing of this states: "... will use their discretion
    about stopping the photo booth service if the agreed upon end time is
    missed by more than 15 minutes..." Then I have a checkbox next to "...
    we wish to be consulted during the event if extra charges will apply..."I like this wording Lorne. Thanks!
  • Mike
    Yes nice wording Lorne.
  • alice
    This problem worries me because there is NO way to get the Bride's attention to pay for an extra hour. I'm busy with the booth and she's busy with the bridesmaids! I wouldn't even recognize the groom (all dressed the same) and they never introduce themselves. Just emails or a phone call to go by and So fast through the booth. What do you do -- catch them between photos to ask for an IDLE TIME fee before they head to the cake table? Send them a billl afterward? Seriously, has anyone actually done that?
  • Mike
    We do not offer on-site additional hours. We go by the contract start to finish. We will stay a little longer 5-10 minutes to finish up a line but other than that if your booth is scheduled 5-9 it will run 5-9
  • LorneChesal
    I've never had to ask about or negotiate staying late, but if I ever do... I guess my experience as a wedding photographer would kick in.

When we reach the end of our shooting day as photograohers, we *always* invest the time to track down and shake the hand or hug the bride, groom and if possible, all parents. It may take 10-15 minutes but it is well worth it in our experience.

Some of best referrals have come with this habit of ours mentioned. We never just duck out after finishing.

We've kept the habit with photo booth events.
  • Mike
    Great tips Lorne. I always find the bride and groom myself and thank them. There is truly no better advertising than a truly happy client.
  • Unknown
    Thank you for all the great information. This has been an on going issue with most of my events. It's tough for me to say sorry times up!

I usually work with the DJ and do a "last call" 30 minutes left so I'm not there 45 mins longer with a long line at the proposed end time.
  • necheez
    Our start and end times are on the contract. Several days before the wedding I talk to the bride, and confirm our contracted time. We discuss their itinerary, and make adjustments to the photo booth operating time if necessary. I remind her of our rate for extended hours and let her know that I will come to find her 15 minutes before we are to shut down if it looks like more time might be needed. If they don't want to pay for extra time, we shut the line down.
    I have an operator though, that OFTEN gives away extra time without collecting anything extra. Fortunately she and I have an agreement that if she doesn't collect any more money, I won't be paying her any more than what we agreed on prior to the event. I figure that I'm probably losing a just few dollars in media in those cases. ( I am working on coaching her to be more firm about shutting down when the contracted time ends.)
    At one of our first weddings when we were newbies, we got stuck in a corner next to the dance floor, and when it was time to shut down they were in the middle of about a hundred "special dances" so we had a really difficult time getting out of there. We now request that our area be as far away from the dance floor as possible.
  • LorneChesal
    At one of our first weddings when we were newbies, we got stuck in a corner next to the dance floor, and when it was time to shut down they were in the middle of about a hundred "special dances" so we had a really difficult time getting out of there. We now request that our area be as far away from the dance floor as possible.

A pet peeve of mine as well. Not just for the hassle of tearing down in the "middle" of things, but the sheer noise and confusion of being too close to the dancing.

The music volume often makes it tough to communicate in any meaningful way beyond pantomime and charades. I also request to be as far away from an active bar as possible. I don't allow drinks in the booth and when guests have just freshened their drinks, it creates friction when I enforce that rule. Add loud music and drunkenness and you can have issues.
  • Mike
    I too request not to be by the dance floor
  • necheez
    We also don't allow beverages OR children under the age of 9 without being accompanied by an adult. The adult doesn't have to be in the photo if they don't want to, they just have to be present. Eliminates us being the babysitter for the evening, protects our equipment and props to some degree, and is ultimately for the safety of their children.