Seeking Assistance with Ideas for a New Tower

Sue
Hey There
After just relocating to a new state and starting the booth biz up here, I am realizing that I am not longer in Kansas lol I had been using a Pipe and shelf construction to house all my equipment. However, after looking at some of the venues I am scheduled to go to, that just isn't going to cut it !!

I've been looking at some options and so far I really like the look, projected ease of the Road Cases. Was hoping that some one would share how they have tailored theirs, how the equipment is fastened and if so inclined to share any shots they may have :) My creativity and knowledge of this end are super limited !!!

THanks so much !! BTW: I am now in NC... I don't believe that I am competition for anyone on here

Sue

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Mike
    Sue have you given thought to purchasing a booth from a manufacturer?
    P.S. Sorry I didn't get back with you earlier.
  • OPBR
    I have some experience building my own booth and I must say I've come to this conclusion.

You're gonna save some money but loose a lot of time. So the hard and tricky part is to figure out which is worth more? Trying to build a perfect booth from scratch or just investing a bit more and using that precious time to build your business and getting events booked.
    By the way, I'm still building my own stuff but starting to look for what't out there.
  • carlrez
    Hi @Sue,I whole-heartedly agree with @OPBR. Building your own booth does take a lot of time that could be spent building your business instead. If you have the capital to invest in a ready-made booth spend some time researching the options that are out there.
    It took me roughly 2 1/2 months worth of weekends to get my booth done. I was at the mercy of my brother's schedule so if I were doing it myself I could have probably gotten it done sooner, but the flip side is that I will always see little imperfections and things that I feel could be better. Had I been able to buy more of a turn-key setup this may not be an issue.
    For my next booth I was considering something from Esto Connectors:http://www.estoconnectors.com/index.php/assemblies/thumbs/category/category-1/

They have some nice options that aren't too expensive.
    Since you've been in this biz already then I think your time would be better spent building it up in your new area of residence instead of working on a booth.
    That's just my $.02. I hope it helps. :)
  • Sue
    I'm not opposed to buying a prefab but I am really leaning towards the two cases. I haven't seen that offered before.

Right now, business is not the problem. I actually have more then I can handle and could use 2 booths and an assistant !!!!
  • Mike
    Is this kind of what you looking for?

http://www.ezphotobooths.com/ezp/photobooths.html or this http://openairphotobooth.com/products/
  • Sue
    Yes, that is the look that I am really partial to right now. However, the 6 thousand plus dollar tag on it, is not :) I have all the equipment and just plain do not want to spend that kind of money for a couple of customized cases
  • LorneChesal
    methinks those who are selling turnkey booths and those who want to buy one will never agree on the price to do so.

Right or wrong, sellers believe they are providing a solution to you. They are suggesting their booth will save you X amount of R&D time, Y amount of R&D money and get you earning a better return on your invested $$$ sooner than anything you can do on your own.

Buyers believe they "can do better than that & cheaper too". There is no answer.

I always advocate the final results. What will the finished product look like? How easy will it be to produce that finished product consistently and without issue at every event. Will your clients enjoy the overall experience? Will the booth you acquire/build give you those results for a cost you can justify?

One thing I have seen in the year I have been doing this is how some operators are so short sighted about the gear in a booth. I am a refurb fan as much as the next guy. But not for money-making ventures. And not when the price difference may be $100. The first time your refurbed DSLR cramps up on you in the middle of an event... what would pay to make that issue go away? It's about risk. When you look at the sheer number of "break" points in a functioning photo booth, both hardware and software, why knowingly/willingly increase your risk?

IMO, buying a booth vs. building one is about peace of mind.

What, in dollars and cents, is that worth to you?
  • Sue
    I totally get what you are saying Lorne. However, for me to pay over 5 or 6 thousand dollars for the shell of a tower that will house the equipment that I already own is out of line. (Which as a side note is top of the line and was purchased brand new lol )

However, one of the other links that was provided does have the shells for 1000 and up. Which is a bit better. I would rather pay $500 for the parts and do it myself, however that is where lack of experience comes in. In that I can most likely justify paying someone that dollar amount so that I have a decent looking finished product.
  • Mike
    Sue I think you'll be hard pressed to find cases for $500. But I have not done much research into this, so I could be way off. I just know what the material cost was for my booths and it was considerably more than $500.
    If that is the look you are wanting you should search around for ATA cases that are large enough for what you need and small enough for your transportation means.
  • Unknown
    Here's another one for everyone: http://www.framexpert.com/solutions/display_and_exhibits/photo_booth/?gclid=CKbJ2bXQ7qUCFYnc4AodXCzcmw
  • Soundsations
    You asked for pictures. This is the first "final" copy of my current design. Subsequent booths now have LED lights and a few other cool features, however essentially the same.
  • Unknown
    I think this site is a great for photo booth owners, I really like the way everyone shares ides/concepts freely and doesn't try to hide information. So in that nature, here is how I did mine.

Lots of ways to build one, this is just how I built mine, could be better/worse/different.....

Also DJ Mikey Mike has some better YouTube vids than mine.

Thanks to everyone on this site!
  • Mike
    Thanks for the great share!
    Also thanks for the compliment to fellow members here at PBO. When I launched the site my goal wasn't to be the largest community but the best! There really isn't too much unique about photo booths at the concept level therefore no real reason not to share. If you do have a differentiating feature then by all means keep that to yourself.
    I think as word is getting out about how great everyone is here we are quickly growing into one of the largest active communities online. Great member shares such as yours will only help to further the inertia.
    Thanks for contributing
  • michaelmarmora
    I think this site is a great for photo booth owners, I really like the way everyone shares ides/concepts freely and doesn't try to hide information. So in that nature, here is how I did mine.

Lots of ways to build one, this is just how I built mine, could be better/worse/different.....

Also DJ Mikey Mike has some better YouTube vids than mine.

Thanks to everyone on this site!

Hey andyenf, thanks for the video! I want to know if you would be so kind as to share the dimensions of the your booth build. I was originally going to save some time and buy an empty booth from ezphotobooths.com, but they take up to two weeks to arrive and are almost $2K. I have access to a full wood/fabrication shop would be remiss to not build it myself and save the money. A component list, build dimensions, or just general pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Unknown
    My boxes are almost 2' deep and are 3' tall.

I have two of them, so they are 6 feet tall together. They lock together once stacked.

I just made them deep enough to fit my printer and thats about it, everthing else is smaller than the printer. I also chopped/reduced my computer case to save room. You will save money building your own

I got all my hardware from reliablehardware.com
  • michaelmarmora
    Sounds great, thanks so much for the followup!
    My boxes are almost 2' deep and are 3' tall.

I have two of them, so they are 6 feet tall together. They lock together once stacked.

I just made them deep enough to fit my printer and thats about it, everthing else is smaller than the printer. I also chopped/reduced my computer case to save room. You will save money building your own

I got all my hardware from reliablehardware.com