Do you print additional copies upon request?

skidz7
I'm relatively new to the scene but I've run into this situation a few times. We have an open air style "booth" and print a single 4x6 copy of each frame onsite. Recently we did an event where we had a lot of people wanting duplicates of the prints. "ooh can you print me another one of this?"
In most cases I will do it for them, but sometimes we have people coming through the booth at such a rapid rate that the guests end up waiting a minute or two for their photos (each takes about 30 seconds for processing/printing). I don't like the idea of delaying other guests because some want additional copies.
Any of you run into this? and how do you typically handle it? I've thought about some signage indicating that we'll print one copy of each photo, etc. I suspect that getting my system more automated would help too.

Comments

• 33 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Mike
    I do not. I will occasionally run duplicates for the bridal party, but rarely.
  • Soundsations
    No additional copies here either. I remind them prints are available as a free download from our hosting site.....and tell them they are welcome to get back in line for another go-around.
  • Unknown
    Generally not, but if its not busy i will. If it's busy, i'll ask them to come back after or go to my hosting site to download them
  • catchphotobooths
    I upsell that option. But 30 seconds seems like a long time for processing.
  • necheez
    Usually, no. We give a copy to everyone in the picture, but everyone else will have to see it online.
  • Soundsations
    I always give the option for double prints...2 4x6's or 4 strips for $100 extra. More than covers the media and and practically pays for another whole case!
  • Mike
    Same, but mine is $25/hr.
    @necheez how many prints do you do at an event? I would burn through 2 or 3 rolls if I did what you are doing.
  • Soundsations
    So your pricing ends up being the same as mine for a typical 4 hour event. Glad to know I'm along the same pricing schedule as others.
  • funfotostudioz
    I tell people to come back for reprints when there is no line. I've already priced the rental at making 60 prints an hour so if there's no one in line and I can make a guest happy, I'll do it.
  • necheez
    Same, but mine is $25/hr.
    @necheez how many prints do you do at an event? I would burn through 2 or 3 rolls if I did what you are doing.

We can usually do 30 to 35 "sessions" in an hour. Most of our events are two to three hours.
    We don't offer 4x6 prints, only 2x6 strips -- so if two people are in the picture then we print just one 4X6 print (two strips). If four people in a photo we print two 4x6 prints (four strips). Occasionally we have a larger group of 8 to 10 people, but that's not too often. I would guess that we print 150 to 200 4x6 prints at an event depending on whether or not there is a scrapbook.
    When we are doing a scrapbook we need a strip for the book, so if it's a married couple in the photo booth we do ask if each want a photo strip or if one to share will be enough. Same with a couple with small children. Often they will just want one. But if they each want a strip, we'll print it for them. It has our name and phone number at the bottom, so I figure if they each put one up on their office cubicle at work, it's really cheap publicity. :)
    We can do around 4 to 6 events with one roll of media using our DNP RX1 printer.
  • Mike
    Wow we usually run at 45-50 per hour and many times have 6 or more people in the booth.

BTW, not sure of your math at 150-200 prints an RX1 should give you 3-4 events.
  • necheez
    Wow we usually run at 45-50 per hour and many times have 6 or more people in the booth.

BTW, not sure of your math at 150-200 prints an RX1 should give you 3-4 events.

Wow!! You must share your secret for getting people in and out of the booth so quickly! We think we're doing great if we do 35/hour. People take forever deciding what they want to wear for the first shot. Is your booth open air? Ours is not, which may make a little difference in transition time between groups.
    You're right about my math! I was a journalism major, LOL!.... It is probably closer to 4 events per roll, I was just guessing.
  • Mike
    Three key things that I do.
    As start time is approaching I get with the DJ, introduce myself (though I now know most in my area) ask them if they will periodically announce our services, location. Especially if they see we have no line. I also always invite them to hop in at some point.I find any young couples and ask them if they will hop in so I can verify my settings. Works 99% of the time.If things continue to be slow I will actually walk around and solicit people to hop in. Always mentioning that the bride and groom have asked that as many people get in throughout the evening as possible.The key in my experience is having great layouts and getting them circulating throughout the event. This just might be a topic worth writing a blog post on.
  • LorneChesal
    We average 50-60 trips an hour at weddings.

We have had 2 events where we managed 65 trips an hour. Young kids between 8 and 12 years old. Very easy (IMO) to get in and out of the booth. If I could only understand why they are so fixated on watching prints come out of the printer. They just lose their mind.

How? We trigger the booth. No touchscreen, no USB button, no guest involvement in the go process of any sort. Eliminate the variable!

I stand at the door to the booth, help guests in and help them arrange themselves. Once they settle, I explain what they'll see, slide the curtain closed and start the countdown. Once the final image is taken, I slide the curtain back open and tell them to be careful getting out. Under a minute.

Very efficient. Allows me to essentially guarantee my 2 hour clients they'll see about 100 trips or more for the money.

Props and prints are outside of the booth. Those are separate processes and IMO should not be inside a booth.
  • Mike
    65 is cranking! I do not trigger for my clients they tap the screen, I have seen the booth do 186 prints in 3 hours.
  • Unknown
    We make sure everyone in the photo gets a print
  • Mike
    @Jamierat how many prints do you go through in a 4 hour event on average?
  • boothpix
    Only for small events where throughput is low. It slows the through put down to keep waiting. Average event for us is around 90 prints + whatever extra we may have given out.

Far to many promote unlimited prints and what they really mean is unlimited goes in the booth. These same vendors somewhere, one today on a massive 'September Offer' badge on the home screen saying "free double prints" well which is it? Is it unlimited or 1 per go unless you have an offer on!
  • Mike
    "Unlimited prints for rental duration, 1 print per session" this is what I state, otherwise I lose out to others doing the same.
  • Mike
    That is a lot of prints. We are usually in the 150 range.
  • Unknown
    sure but its less then $50 cost
  • catchphotobooths
    I just had a 4 hour event turn out 190 sessions last weekend and that was with 50% of the guests leaving 10 second video messages. That is one disadvantage of having a super fast printer.
  • Mike
    I have to disagree with that being a disadvantage. Less than $30 in prints and you put out 190 business cards to potential future clients.
  • Soundsations
    I just had a 4 hour event turn out 190 sessions last weekend and that was with 50% of the guests leaving 10 second video messages. That is one disadvantage of having a super fast printer.

What printer are you using?
  • catchphotobooths
    Mitsubishi CP9810DW. It prints in 8 - 10 seconds.
  • scottishmovies
    We rarely print extras - but I sometimes give in for elderly or infirm guests as they won't be in the booth much.I sometimes take some keyrings with me - I reprint the parents pictures on both sides (sometimes that can be complicated these days with divorces and re-marriages etc) and put a pic of the B&G on the back - they absolutely love it! I don;t advertise I do this, I just do it! It doesn't cost me much, maybe 3-6 prints and some keyrings but the kudos far outweights the cost. I also give the bride and groom a copy with each set of parents - if it's a nice easy mum & dad for both :) If it's a horrible crowd then the keyrings stay in my bag !!