Canon Selphy CP720 vs DNP RX1 paper and print out quality

MeiRykFoto
Hello fellow boothers :) right now I have 2 Canon Selphy CP720 as my printer for my booth. I had a couple of paper jam or printer error during my last event. Though I like the its paper thickness and quality of the printout, I'm a bit afraid that it will completely break down during an event. My question is, how does the paper and print quality compare to the RX1 printer? Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Mike
    The paper will not be quite as thick as it is on a roll but here are a few key features that might help you with your decision.
    For this example we will use one of my typical 3 hour rentals when looking at the two. A typical 3 hour rental has around 120 photo sessions.
    I pulled the specs from the manufacturers websites.
    Canon CP720DNP RX1

Print Speedthe Canon is too slow and while the RX1 is no speed demon it is nearly 4 times faster. With the slow speed of the Selphy printers you will still be printing photos an hour after your event ends.CP720 - 58 seconds for a 4x6RX1 - 14.9 seconds for a 4x6 Print Capacity
    Another important thing at an event is not having to service your booth constantly. You really don't want to touch anything if you can help it and this includes changing the paper in your printer. The Selphy doesn't hold a candle in the wind to the RX1 in this light.CP720 - max capacity 36 prints per cartridgeRX1 - max capacity 700 prints per rollCost Per PrintThe final point I will make is the Cost Per Print (CPP). You are wanting to run a business and this means you want to keep costs down, quality up and put money in your pocket. Going back to my typical 3 hour event and the 120 prints produced let's look at the Cost Per Event also.CP720: ~$14/cartridge or $.39/printRX1: $199 or $.14/printA typical 3 hour event using both.CP720: $46.80RX1: $16.80
    So now I ask you does the paper thickness really matter that much? Hopefully this helps you make your decision.
  • Soundsations
    The CP720 is certainly not a commercial grade printer. I would think the longevity would be questionable. As a lightweight and inexpensive backup I would say yes to, but not as my primary printer. For that I have to put a plug in for the DS40's. Best out there in my opinion.
  • LorneChesal
    yeah... it's not a fair fight on any level except acquisition cost.

IMO it's complete false economy to NOT have a dye sub of some sort for a booth.

Any *1* of the points Mike makes is enough, but all 3?

Find the $$ somewhere. Imaging Spectrum often has refurbs for a few hundred dollars less than new.

To answer your question... I doubt the print and paper quality is *significantly* different between the 2. The average booth guest will not likely ever spot/feel the difference. They will however recall how long it took to get a print and how many times the poor guy was changing paper and/or cursing his printer. Those little Canons (Sony used to make them too) weren't built for the duty cycle of a booth. Quality aside, they're not the right machine for the job.

No other way to spin it.
  • Unknown
    Not to be contrary, because I do love my RX1... But the paper thickness is similar between the two.

Point 2: while the ribbon cartridge is good for 36 prints, the paper carrier only holds 18, so you're changing paper twice for every ribbon.

I keep one cp800 and a two packs of paper (108 prints each) with me on all gigs just in case, due to my bad luck with Kodak printers in the past. Saved me on three occasions, and I had to use it for one gig between printers because my Kodak died on a Friday gig and I had a Saturday gig the next day. It was pure hell, especially since I was doing strips. I had to rip the tabs before slicing in half because my chopper was made for 4x6, not 4x8.
  • Minh
    I love my rx1

U buy $200 in ink toner at one time. That gives u 1400 prints. Meaning, u change the print maybe around the 5th or 6th event. There's also a program that will tell you how many prints you have left. It aligns it and I think the quality is amazing. Had it at an expo and customers kept telling us our quality in photos strips was amazingly better than others. Maybe it was my design on the template but its really good. And I hate changing printer ink and paper lol
  • Unknown
    I have two PBs and 2 RX1s - love them. I bought the Selphy as a backup but when I tried using it (test) it cut-off the bottom. I can live with the slowness and trimming in an emergency situation but can live without the bottom text.

I tried other settings but nothing works (borderless cropped the images).

So what am I doing wrong.

Thanks guys.

Jim
  • LorneChesal
    My guess would be the printable areas of the Canon is not exactly 4x6.

The specs for the paper are 148mm x 100mm, which is actually 5.91" x 3.94". Not sure if that includes the little paper tabs you remove.

Are you using a different layout when you switch? Or just changing the printer driver?
  • Unknown
    How do I configure Breeze DSLR Remote to do one or single pose instead of 3 or 4 poses? I am also looking in to doing a one pose template.
  • Soundsations
    Custom layout function in Breeze.
  • Unknown
    I run DSLR Remote Pro and use the RX1s and love them. I bought a Selphy though as an emergency backup (as the other post said) but I'm having trouble getting my lower text to print - it seems to be oversizing the print. I've tried the borderless setting which only made it worst.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

thanks
  • Unknown
    The selphy image dimensions are slightly smaller than the rx1. So your prints will be cropped at the right and bottom. Redesign your template to accommodate the difference and then you can print with either printer. It's a compromise but there is really no other way to do it unless you want to put another program in between to resize before printing. If you put hotfolder prints in between you could have it watch the prints folder and print every image that comes through.
  • Unknown
    @LorneChesal wrote:My guess would be the printable areas of the Canon is not exactly 4x6. The specs for the paper are 148mm x 100mm, which is actually 5.91" x 3.94". Not sure if that includes the little paper tabs you remove.Are you using a different layout when you switch? Or just changing the printer driver?

Just switching printers - I really don't want to be dealing with different layout since this would be for emergency only.
  • Unknown
    The printable area on the selphy does not include the tabs. But I gave you the easiest answer. Design the layout to look perfect on the rx1 but also not get totally chopped off with the selphy. Bring the bottom up so it doesn't get cut off. It won't take much. I don't remember for sure but I believe the pixel dimensions for the selphy are 1220x1824 vs the rx1 at 1240x1844. You should be able to just raise your text 10 or 15 pixels and be safe.
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    After much research I decided on the RX1. I have been very pleased.