What is the easiest way to set up an external slideshow at an event?

Unknown
I would like to offer some type of external slideshow during an event. Im not sure if i should use an extra monitor or get a projector. Also, what software is recommended? thanks :)

Comments

• 52 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • scottishmovies
    We use an external monitor at most events and it goes down a storm! As a general guide it goes off the second someone gets a bit more exposure than they should, if you know what I mean - especially if there are children around.

We use PHOTOLIVE - it's a freebie and does what it says on the tin. To connect up we run it on a laptop (so the main booth PC isn't slowed down in anyway) and its connected to the booth PC via wifi on a router. So we are basically running a mini-network.

We've also had it on a venues multi screens an also a projector. always draws a crowd. I know some folk on here aren't keen on them but Ive not been to an event and been asked to switch it off - in fact if anything, people gather to watch the mayhem in the booth!!
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    I am experimenting with this right now. I am using an Eye Fi card in the laptop and transmitting the photos to one of my iPads. Eventually I will use my ipad mini with a 32 in TV in the vertical position on an easel. I might even buy another super cheap android tablet for the job. It would make for a cheap device to run the slideshow. I promised my wife that I would not spend any more big money (TV) until I have the booth paid off which should be June.
  • Unknown
    @lucktech...1. does the eye fi card go into the usb on your laptop?2. Do you need to set up some type of folder or direct it to the event folder with all the pics?3. when you eventually use your mini how will that connect to a tv? you will have the eye fi card in the laptop which will connect to your mini right? Then how do you get them to slideshow on the tv?Sorry for all the Q's. Im not very Tech savvy so i pretty much need this stuff spelled out for me....Thanks for your time.@scottishmovies... i will have to look into Photolive. thanks for the tip.
  • socialbooth
    this only applies if you use Breeze...
    Does breeze still collect the photos and the Eye-Fi still transmits the photos too?
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    @alterego, you are close. I put the eye Fi card in the laptop card reader. I am using Sync Toy 2.1 to copy the pics from breeze to the eye Fi card. I am using an app on one of my iPads called shuttersnitch. It is 16 bucks but does totally what I want. It uses its own picture collections and has a live update slide show. The eye Fi company app SUCKS! I then use a ipad VGA adapter to output to my projector or soon a 32 " led TV in the vertical position held by a mobile easel that I will start to construct in the coming weeks.

Those that know me on here know that I hate apple, but I just couldn't find an android app to fit the bill as slick as this. I am an IT guy and have 4-5 laptops setting around here right now, but they just would not work as well as the ipad in this application. I am debuting this latest add on this weekend at my event Saturday. I will let you know how it goes. I still will also have my monitor that shows what is going on inside of the booth. For this weekend, I am mounting the projector on top of the booth and projecting on a wall with a 15 foot ceiling.
  • Unknown
    Thank you sooo much for explaining. im going to give it a try so i may have a few more q's down the road if you dont mind?
    Good luck this weekend! keep me posted and let me know how t goes. :)
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    I forgot to mention, there is one major limitation to the eye Fi card. It will only transfer filenames that are 8.3 (file name.ext). I use breeze so I had to change the way that breeze (names) saves the jpegs. It wasn't that big of deal, but had to be done
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    UPDATE!!!!!!!

My event Saturday night with my auto update slide show was a huge hit and very successfully implemented! I can absolutely recommend using a tablet and Eye Fi card as a slide show. I am going to work on a complete write up of everything I did to make it work correctly. It will save others lots of time. Look for it in the coming week. Attached is a pic of the setup from Saturday.
  • Unknown
    That's great. Happy to hear it went well. I'm looking forward to your write up on it. Like I said before, I'm not tech savvy and need this stuff spelled out or me ;) thank u
  • scottishmovies
    I'm sure it will make for interesting reading.....can't wait to see how you achieve it.
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    ****UPDATE****

I have submitted my documentation on my slideshow setup to @Mike for blog publication. I held off on submission until ShutterSnitch was updated with a huge new feature that I suggested to the developer a month or so ago. It is awesome!

Yes, this is a tease;o)
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    The article is now live!

https://photoboothowners.com/eye-fi-shuttersnitch-led-tv-the-ultimate-photobooth-slideshowAttached also is a pic of the test with one of my computer monitors in the portrait orientation with the ipad.
  • bitcraft
    This probably is not the easiest way, but I use a dual monitor computer for my booth. One touch monitor is the print/email/SMS kiosk and the other displays a screen saver on a 23" LCD monitor. The screen saver is custom and just watches for new pictures in a folder.
  • Mike
    Great work Jon! The post is live for those of you that are not on the newsletter and can be read on the blog at https://photoboothowners.com/eye-fi-shuttersnitch-led-tv-the-ultimate-photobooth-slideshow
  • MikeN
    Interesting.. from the article:
    "ShutterSnitch ($19.99US-available only on the Apple App Store), developed by Brian Gerfort of 2ndNature, is the only application I have been able to find in either the Android or iOS market that allows for auto update slideshow presentations"
    I've used PhotoFrame for Android for a while, and it does this no problem. Will work with files on the SD card, LAN or UPnP device
  • Mike
    Do they have an iOS app also?
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    Will it receive images via an eye Fi card and change the orientation of the slideshow? If so, cool, that means there is also an android solution!
  • Minh
    Am i the only one that uses the breeze slideshow??
    http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/index.htm
  • Mike
    Quite possibly it seems..lol
  • Minh
    i dont understand why.. it's sooo easy! lol
  • Mike
    It cost money, you know how PBO's are ;)
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    @MikeN, well.......will PhotoFrame receive images via an EyeFi card and change the orientation of the slideshow?
  • MikeN
    Read about it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=softick.android.photoframe&hl=en
    As for EyeFi, if you want the files to go straight to your Android device you can use this:http://www.eye.fi/products/android
    Otherwise, just have EyeFi upload it to a PC as you would normally, and have PhotoFrame read from the same Share
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    I did! Still didn't see anywhere about rotating the output.

The EyeFi app stinks!
  • MikeN
    Uhm... download it and try it.
    And on the page above it says:
    * Optionally groups images to match device orientaion
    * Various resize/fit modes to avoid borders or crop
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    Don't have an android device.

Please post a pic similar to the one I posted earlier, I would like to see it.
  • Ulfilas
    The way I intend to use a slideshow using Sparkbooth and Kiosk. The software saves images to a shared folder - so I can either use a peer to peer network between the booth pc and the kiosk pc - or use dropbox (obviously requires internet access)
    I then use a projector, or monitor, or tv as monitor on the kiosk pc - showing images from the shared folder.There are numerous software options for this including http://bellcraft.com/default.aspx#Pixie, http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm, or http://www.mediachance.com/free/multishow.htmI'm even consdering using an ultra short throw projector to project onto the outside of the booth on one side. ;)
  • miker1267
    Minh: I too use BreezeBrowser (specifically Breeze Viewer) for my slideshow. I agree that it is so simple I can't imagine using anything else if you run breeze software for the booth. I don't know if it works with other software.
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    As I didn't want to use a pc, breeze was not an option. In my latest creation of my slideshow, I am driving the show with an iPod Touch velcroed to the back of the TV monitor.