Hanging curtains in a pop-up

buzzkcphoto
Well, since we're retiring from the photobooth biz, I might as well give up some trade secrets to my fellow boothers...
We have received many compliments on our booth and how nicely it looks with the curtains. I don't think I have shown anyone how we went about hanging them. We use the canopy top that came with our canopy, I've just removed the center pole that pushes up the peak as it's setup.
While building ours, I spend a couple of hours in the hardware isle looking for solutions to hang rods from at the local blue borg (Lowes). What I found were some "S" shaped binder clips. I bought a dozen of them, some eyelet bolts with nuts to match, and some 1/2" electrical EMT conduit.

I cut 4 pieces of conduit to length about 1/4" - 1/2" less than the distance between the legs on my canopy. I drilled vertical holes 2" from each end (holes should be parallel to the holes on the opposite end) for the eyelet bolts to go through and locked down with nuts and locktite.
The "S" hooks clip over the framework at each end, then slip the eyelet onto a hook at each end.
This is all the outer rods hung in place without curtains.
I also cut 4 more poles, 2" shorter than the first set, which are used to hang inside curtains on the same hooks used by the outside set. For these poles, drill the eyelet holes 1" from each end. The shorter pole will give some room to have the curtains not bunch as bad in the corners.

My curtains were simply $9 a set 84" curtains from Walmart, the curtain hoop just needs to be big enough for the curtain rod to slip through without removing the eyelets. In some cases, we had to hang the curtains upside down as the bottom hem was larger and simply cut the stitches at the ends to let the rod slide through.
On the equipment side, we had a longer curtain on each side of the equipment and shorter one over the top of it cut to length and hemmed to close the gaps.
One thing I did was to cut small slits for the eyelet heads to slip out the top of the curtain, so the curtain could be taken all the way to the end or further.
My front and back curtains actually had those slits for the eyelets about 10" from one end for each side of what I would consider the entrance and the opposite side wall. That extra 10" of over hang allowed me to wrap the curtain around the pole to hide it. I used some small binder clips/clothe pins to tuck the extra away, but some sewn on velcro may be a good choice.
To hide the framework around the ceiling, we have a 5' x 5' white sheet with velcro on the corners that sticks to the lower side. Not only does it hide the framework, but it gives a great bounce for lighting and makes a dramatic difference.
Now the canopy top does have velcro around it. I've bought the factory sides for it that have the zippered corners. We only used them for outdoor events where the light would blow the curtains and allow light to seep in wreaking havoc on the camera. We still used the smaller curtain rods to hang inside curtains and backdrop from as well as our "ceiling" piece.
You could do velcro hook on the curtains, but keep in mind to allow some curtain to wrap the legs to hide them.

Let me know if you have questions...

Comments

• 34 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • buzzkcphoto
    I should mention, the wire safety clip wouldn't close on the "S" clips without rotating them 90 degrees towards you after you clip them down over the frame. To remove them rotate them 90 degrees towards you so they are horizontal, press and hold the clip in and rotate them back vertical and lift up and off of the canopy frame.
  • Unknown
    Thanks for the info. I wished I saw your setup before purchasing my photobooth :)
  • Mike
    Nice share Darren. This is worthy of a how-to blog post if you're interested.
  • Ronpinero
    Thank You very much Darren Great info very nice of you to share. Well one more question where do you get the pop up with the removable post some are different I have only seen the 5X5s on line is the valance on the face one you made or is it from the origional one you bought. I do have to say your booth has a lot of Class. Thanks again for your help. Ron
  • buzzkcphoto
    This is the one we have, it's a commercial grade and steel frame (a little heavy, but stout). There was only a phillips screw to remove and the post comes out.
    http://www.hutshop.com/dsf5.html
  • Ronpinero
    Thank You again Darren I wish you the very best. Ron
  • MikeN
    So I assume you can see the structure from the inside? At least toward the top of the "walls" and above?
  • buzzkcphoto
    Sorry for the lack of pics, not sure I've ever taken any of the ceiling...from my description above...
    "To hide the framework around the ceiling, we have a 5' x 5' white sheet with velcro on the corners that sticks to the lower side. Not only does it hide the framework, but it gives a great bounce for lighting and makes a dramatic difference."
  • MikeN
    ahhh... sorry, I did read that :)
    So I assume it drapes down a bit in the middle since no support except the corners?
    Any idea on the cost of all the fabric (sheets, etc) used?
  • buzzkcphoto
    Yes, but It barely did, we pulled it pretty tight. It's also 7' from the floor, so not many folks would notice and it doesn't caus any shadowing. There is a place where one could add velcro in the center of the frame to stick the center of the sheet to if need be, at least on the frame we have. perhaps put a center button to make it look "tucked" for lack of a better term.
    I'd say we had around $100 in curtains/material for inside and out, hardware/material was around $30 for the rods and "S" hooks, and the Canopy I got on sale for around $220 with free shipping. So total around $350
  • MikeN
    Cool, thanks for the info.... been debating doing something like this vs pipe-and-drape for one of our setups. Looking at around $400 for pipe and drape and that's with no "roof". Of course, it does give us sizing flexibility, and the ability to use only part of the pipe and drape for specific setups
  • buzzkcphoto
    No problem Mike, good luck with your business.
  • WolfStudios
    Do you by chance have any photos of the inside with the second set of drapes?? This is an excellent job and I am attempting to recreate.
  • shuttershack
    Did you just cut off the center pole? looks like it is flat on the top.

Thanks
  • buzzkcphoto
    I removed the center pole. On mine there was a phillips screw that held it on near the bottom, removing that screw allowed me to slide the pole off the frame.
  • GeneN73
    This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you for sharing. Are these the curtains you are speaking of? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eclipse-Samara-Blackout-Energy-Efficient-Curtain-Set-of-2-Bundle/22226063
  • buzzkcphoto
    Yes, those are the ones. They do have a white interior, so you'll need to use the second shorter curtain rod and interior curtains or backdrop if you don't want to see the white.
  • RobertJNicponProd
    @buzzkcphoto wrote:Sorry for the lack of pics, not sure I've ever taken any of the ceiling...from my description above..."To hide the framework around the ceiling, we have a 5' x 5' white sheet with velcro on the corners that sticks to the lower side. Not only does it hide the framework, but it gives a great bounce for lighting and makes a dramatic difference."

Just started following this thread and I must say, you're an awesome engineer. The white sheet affixed with velcro is genius; dual-purpose.

Thanks for the share.
  • RobertJNicponProd
    @buzzkcphoto wrote:Sorry for the lack of pics, not sure I've ever taken any of the ceiling...from my description above..."To hide the framework around the ceiling, we have a 5' x 5' white sheet with velcro on the corners that sticks to the lower side. Not only does it hide the framework, but it gives a great bounce for lighting and makes a dramatic difference."

Just started following this thread and I must say, you're an awesome engineer. The white sheet affixed with velcro is genius; dual-purpose.

Thanks for the share.
  • DazzlingPhotoBooth
    @buzzkcphoto wrote:Yes, those are the ones. They do have a white interior, so you'll need to use the second shorter curtain rod and interior curtains or backdrop if you don't want to see the white.

I apologize, but understood everything except this quote above? So those walmart black out curtains have a white inside to them that is facing the inside of the booth? So to hide the white on the 3 sides (back side would have a backdrop), what did you do?

Thanks soooo much for your input and help!
  • Unknown
    He had interior curtains all the way around
  • kngphoto
    Thanks so much for this! I have been doing my own research online to try to get this look and all the canopy's I have seen for sale have the center pole, I never thought to just remove it.

Also, top notch right up on how you put it all together. Thanks.
  • hilphoto
    Hi, after removing the center post that forms the peak, what happens to the material that is part of the "peak". Doesn't this material fall into the booth? Thanks for the great info!
  • buzzkcphoto
    @hilphoto, it lays down, but doesn't really sag or fall into the booth. The white ceiling piece covers the framework and the view of the cover from inside.
  • mystique photobooth
    buzzkcphoto, thank you for posting this. Very good looking setup. What flash/ lighting did you use in your booth? I have my tower built and going to be ordering a 5 x 5 just like you have. I already have the same curtains.lol

Thanks Mick
  • buzzkcphoto
    @Mick, One booth had a small florescent strip built in as it used a webcam. As long as it had the reflective white ceiling it worked well. The second booth was a dslr version and had an alien bees B400 (http://www.paulcbuff.com/b400.php), but was set almost to the lowest setting to get good results. I also had two 13w florescent bulbs for general lighting in the same cabinet as the b400.
  • mystique photobooth
    Thanks so much buzzkcphoto. What material did you use for your reflective white ceiling? A sheet, or something heavier ?

Thanks again

Mick
  • buzzkcphoto
    @Mick, Just a plain white cotton muslin, or a bedsheet, I honestly don't remember. Served as a reflector and to hide the framework of the pop-up.
  • mystique photobooth
    Thanks again for your help and sharing of info. What color of curtain did you use for your picture backdrop?