DNP RX1 VS. HITI 510L Which one is better, cheaper to run and most reliable?

Bobuschka
Hi I was decided to get the Hiti 510 L, Till I find others photo booth operators selling them in droves and the good folks at Foto Club telling me that he DNP RX1 is more reliable and is 1 cent cheaper per print. This makes me second guess my decision to get the HITI 510 L. To all you photo booth owners... After being in the photo booth business for a while which printer should I go with. I want reliability first, inexpensive media second and speed of print and quality of print third. Please let me know your opinion before I spend the money and get something new. Thanks for all your input in the past

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Soundsations
    I can only speak from actual experience with both printers. My first dye sub was the HITI. It was cheap and everybody seemed to have one so why not?!?! After the 3'rd event, the paper jams began. Returned for a replacement and after the 2'nd event on the new printer another jam. Seemed as if media was sticking to the paper rather than releasing as it should. Sold the two units I had and purchased the RX1 from recommendations by several users. I really did like them, for the price and the print quality, its hard to beat. You gain a nice drop tray which makes it easy to internally install them in your booth as opposed to HITI's flat "tray". While I've upgraded even further to the DNP DS40's, I still have three of the RX1's sitting around collecting dust....however they all work flawlessly with the exception of one....bad print head. Leaves a white streak down each image printed. Now the DS40's are significantly MORE expensive, however the reliability, ease of use and quality is just amazing....not to mention the speed is significantly faster when compared to any of the models you are inquiring about. I own 6 of them now and have about 4 on the shelf in new in boxes to go with any new photo booths I build for customers. I want my customers to have the absolute best components with a Soundsations Photo Booth that I include the DS40 with each purchase. Been rock solid for me even after having a few abused by employees, they keep impressing me every weekend. If I were you and considering a RX1, I would spend a little more coin and purchase the DS40. Yes it's more, but the construction quality alone of these units are worth the price difference. Again, this is just my personal experience with all three of these units....others may be different.
  • Ruben
    Hi Bob,

You can compare all the photo booth printers here:
    http://www.fotoclubinc.com/photo-printer-comparison.aspx

Ruben Gama
    Foto Club Inc.
    888-921-3686
  • Soundsations
    Ruben....can the DS80 be programmed to cut strips?
  • docgray23
    I have two of the HiTi P510L printers. So far I have had no problems (knock on wood). I have had them for about a year and clean them regularly. The are always coming out with firmware updates, so I try to keep on top of that. I think they are great for the price! I have only used the 4x6 paper. I recently bought a box of 5x7 but have yet to use it.
  • Bobuschka
    Thanks @Ruben and soundstations. So from a reliability standpoint, which is better, the RX1 or the 510L ?I will make my purchase this week. @Ruben which is your preference from a reliability standpoint? Thanks for all input.
  • Minh
    why not get the sinfonia cs2. its cheaper, and a bit faster and smaller and lighter.
  • Bobuschka
    why not get the sinfonia cs2. its cheaper, and a bit faster and smaller and lighter.

Is that one reliable? also how much per print is that printer? @minh how long have you had it? Does anybody else have experience with this printer? It looks really compact, it is as robust for the road? I notice that Foto Club does not have that one listed.
  • Ruben
    The street price on the Sinfonia CS2 is around $825.00, cost per print is at $00.17, paper roll capacity on 4x6 is only 300 prints.

The RX1 street is at $795.00, cost per print is at $00.13 and paper roll capacity on 4x6 is 700 prints.

If you are looking into a unit like the Sinfonia CS2, I suggest to look into the DNP DS40 or Mitsubishi CPD70DW

Here is more detail information:

http://www.fotoclubinc.com/dnp-ds40-dye-sub-photo-printer.aspx

http://www.fotoclubinc.com/mitsubishi_cpd70dw_photo_printer_single_deck.aspx

Bob, if you have more indepth questions please give me a call at:

888-921-3686
    Foto Club Inc.
    Ruben Gama
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    @bobuschka, I went witch the RX1. I purchased mine back in November. I have been very happy with it. By the end of May, I plan to buy a second RX1. After talking to FotoClub and Imaging Spectrum, I felt confident in my decision. It is heavy, but I do feel it is the best bang for your Buck!
  • Bobuschka
    @lucktechphotobooth that sounds like a great recomendation. I will probably get that one!! WHere did you buy it?
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    I bought mine from Imaging Spectrum out of Texas. It was a discussion here when I was deciding. Both are sponsors of this site. Both are knowledgable, but I like Texas more than I like California, so I went with IS. This literally was what made my decision. They both price match each other and both have free shipping over 100 Bucks.

Honestly, I have now ordered at least one item from both places. It has been my practice to "spread the money" when it comes to vendors in my consulting business. You never know when you are going to need help. I will probably buy my second one from FotoClub in late May. If I ever get stuck, I want both vendors on my side! If I need something quick, though, IS wins because ground UPS has it here in two days. I ordered paper from FotoClub on Wednesday and it won't be here til Tuesday. That is no fault of FotoClub, it is the fault of being 2200 miles from my current location.

I know a lot of people that have two Vets for the same reason.

Jon
  • Bobuschka
    Thanks @Lucktechphotobooth. Your info is invaluable!!
    Does anyone know the difference between the RX1 and the DNP DS40 other than smaller size and faster printing? Does anyone else have the sinfonia CS2 or the RX1 ? your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all
  • Mike
    Night and day Bob. The DS40 is built much better, prints considerably faster, has a longer lifetime on the print heads.

Check out https://photoboothowners.com/top-professional-photo-booth-printers
  • photo_ells
    I have a mixture of both rx1 and ds40 and much prefer the ds40. It has better build quality, nice small foot print and low height and faster prints and now it does the 2x6 its a great booth printer.

The rx1 is good for the high roll count but going from the ds40 to rx1 it can feel like you are waiting forever for the prints, not that the punters know they still think its fast.

Although they are both DNP printers the RX1 is actually a rebadged citizen CY printer which may explain the build quality and also why the media for it is slightly thinner (mind you how else would they get 700 prints on a roll)

Also some people are having problems with the colour on the RX1 at the moment. I haven't personally but I am still using a batch of paper I bought a while ago so it could be the newer paper that is different.
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    I was told by a vendor that the RX1 is a rebadged SONY printer.

There is no question that the DS 40 is the superior printer. The GM Cadillac is also a superior car in comparison to the Chevy Impala. But if you can't afford a Cadillac, the Impala is a good choice. I really see no difference here when discussing printers.

When I bought my RX1, I just could not justify the added expense of the superior ds40. In a year from now, when I have done 30 plus weddings, etc, maybe I will upgrade.

Actually, we have gotten a little off topic, we should really only be discussing the Hiti 510 and the RX 1.
  • photo_ells
    Luck the OP did also ask for a comparison to a DS40 and RX1 so not off topic at all ;)

You may only be doing 30 weddings a year and the RX1 may be great for you but if the OP is planning to do more than that and for those that do more too then I think they should be aware of the benefits of the other printer. The DS40 is truly a work horse and as Mike said the print head is quoted as being longer lifespan so i believe in the long run the DS40 would actually be better value. Ultimately you get what you pay for. If the ds40 did 2x6 at the time I designed the booth that I use the rx1 in I would never have got the rx1.

Unlike cars which are normally for pleasure, when making a business purchase decision like a printer, spending a few hundred $$ more (which you should make back in no time in this business) in the long run may be better for you otherwise it may well be a false economy when you are spending more than the difference on a new thermal head down the road. Of course when budgeting don't forget you will need a back up!

Its not a rebranded Sony as Sony were out of the dyesub game when the rx1 came along! It can be seen as a replacement for the lower end sony CX1 (similar form factor and plastic build) but its not a rebrand Sony. Citezen actually do another one in the same form factor as the CY ( rx1) but better build quality and speed to match the DS40 with a price to match. DNP haven't rebadged that one off them as they have the DS40.

I have been using photo dyesubs for almost 10 years since my first Kodak 1400 sheet fed one and trust me the extra spend on the ds40 is worth it over the rx1 especially if you are doing larger sizes or use it for other types of phototainment where the rx1 wouldn't keep up!

Just my personal opinion ;)
  • Minh
    I actually have a DS40. it's been reliable. to be honest, all these big end boys will be reliable, but will one be 100%? no.. it's jsut how electronics are. the ratings on the sinfonic CS2 are pretty high.. i'm looking to get one after all the research because i want smaller and lighter weight (and cheaper) but again.. only reason to get DS40 is Speed. i like 8 sec print times ;)
  • Bobuschka
    @Minh, I head the SC2 is very new. So new there is not much known about it. Where did you read good stuff about it? Is it true that the price of media will go down once it gets more popular with boothers?
  • Minh
    I think they released it like 9 months ago.
  • Bobuschka
    Minh, I CAN'T find a review on this unit on the web. Do you know of a review (other than the one on this message board that I read) that reviews the dependability of this printer? thanks.
  • LorneChesal
    Minh, I CAN'T find a review on this unit on the web. Do you know of a review (other than the one on this message board that I read) that reviews the dependability of this printer? thanks.

I am sure the only folks using dye sub printers these days are booth operators or event photographers. They aren't in wide use, so I don't think you'll find a lot of chatter online about them.

You'll just have to rely on Shinko/Sinfonia's reputation overall to reach a decision.

I found this on imaging Spectrum's website.

When Imaging Spectrum first started selling Shinko printers, our

customers would ask “Who is Shinko, I’ve never heard of them.” The

answer was and is, Shinko has been making incredibly fast and durable

printers for years. For many of those years, Shinko was working in the

background, manufacturing printers for well known companies like Kodak.

Shinko’s reputation in the event photography market spread quickly –

fast, durable, reliable sums it up. One of the first companies to offer a

2×6 cut, the Shinko S2145 was an immediate hit with photobooth

operators and manufacturers. The printers are distributed in the US by

KG ProPhoto and the parent Japanese company is Kanematsu. The Shinko S2145 6-inch Photo Printer and the Shinko S1245 8-inch Photo Printer are among the most popular printers we sell. Today, KG ProPhoto announced that the Shinko name is being changed to “Sinfonia”. Same great printers, new weird name.

While not an end user's perspective, I would trust the words from a retailer who needs to rely on a product's reliability. I would think if IS had issues, they wouldn't carry the product line. They list them as popular sellers. They wouldn't be if they were unreliable.
  • Minh
    Any one have the CS2?? I'm thinking of maybe switching.. I'd like to know someone's opinion on them.
  • Bobuschka
    For me is is leaning to the CS2
  • goodtimestx
    We have had our HITI 510S and done so many events. We have not had any jams. (Knock on wood.)