Remote Option for Reprinting/Printing Additional Photos

snapngophotoaz
I use PS Remote, and one issue I would like to simplify is printing second and third copies of a photo after the guest has exited the booth. Currently I keep one of my back panels open so I have access to my laptop and just hit Control R. Is there a simple, inexpensive way to do this with a remote control or a button I can keep in my hand, so that my guests do not see the inside of my tower with all the cables/wires etc.?

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Mike
    If you search there are a few discussions around this. A couple recent ones come to mind, one was around exactly what you are asking.
  • LorneChesal
    a small bluetooth keyboard is the simplest.
  • bitcraft
    A few options come to mind: An inexpensive wireless presenter remote ~$15 Cheap usb joystick/controller plus Joy2Key to emulate a keyboard (many buttons!) ~$4 - $15 http://www.etsy.com/shop/thegarage pricey, but looks like a quality product $60 arduino uno + custom fab controller $8 - $30
    Joy2Key: takes PC joystick/controller input and creates keyboard eventshttp://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm
  • Ulfilas
    I bought one of these to reconfigure for buttons at the front of my booth.. There are enough buttons on it to add a reprint one :)http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-USB-Palm-Handle-Keyboard-6-Programming-buttons-Compatible-Windows-Linux-Mac/320951390341?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D7312478054094774476%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D320951390341%26
  • MikeN
    I use this and love it.... backlit too -- http://goo.gl/6RO1x
  • photoboothking
    so if you want multiples of a certain copy you have to press ctrl r twice for 2 extra copies, but users cant use the booth until reprints are done? Cuz for me when i hit ctr r the msg stating exit booth appears each time i hit reprint....
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    That is true , but think about the logistics of it. It takes about 2 sec for the exit msg to disappear. There is no way that someone is going to be able to get out of ur booth and someone else to enter ur booth in that amount of time. This is exactly how I do it.
  • miker1267
    I use a Kensington Presenter wireless remote and have programmed the down arrow to trigger the reprint function. Works like a charm.
  • snapngophotoaz
    Thank you all for the information. I will try some of these options and see what works. @miker1267 what did you do to program the arrow trigger? I assume that the CTRL R function is unique to Breeze and is not that common of a function on other programs which the Kensington remotes seem to be programmed for.
  • bitcraft
    @Ulfilas that gadget is awesome!
  • LorneChesal
    Thank you all for the information. I will try some of these options and see what works. @miker1267 what did you do to program the arrow trigger? I assume that the CTRL R function is unique to Breeze and is not that common of a function on other programs which the Kensington remotes seem to be programmed for.

you'll be programming the remote to send a certain keystroke (CTL-R) when you press one of it's buttons.
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    You can write the AHK to get the key strokes to work in only Breeze.
  • snapngophotoaz
    @lucktechphotobooths I am most likely going to go with the mini USB keyboard as there are other options I can use it for, but if I were to go with the Kensington remote how would I write a AHK for Breeze? I have never written scripts before and don't know much about it. I am not even sure I would know what to do. Any tips?
  • skyhawk
    I have a Stealthswitch III that is connected to three arcade buttons. One on the front panel of the booth (start), and the other two are on the outside toward the back side where the attendant waits for the print to some out. One button is Start (in case the guests are sitting in there forever) the other is reprint. (Mapped to Ctrl-R for breeze). The attendant simply taps the reprint button as necessary as he holds the drapes back for the guests to exit. No reprint button is labeled as such for the guests to use.
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    Here is a link to a pretty straight forward tutorial on making scripts.

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Tutorial.htm

I can see how writing a script can be a little intimidating, wire a few very small ones like in the tutorial and you will get the hang of it soon enough.
  • Soundsations
    Oh do I have some surprises in the works for you! Will most likely be the coolest addition you can do to any Breeze powered booth. Once perfected, I can almost guarantee everyone will want one...... LOL
  • snapngophotoaz
    @Soundsations, the suspense is killing me. @luctechphotobooths, I did see the tutorial on the web site, and I may try playing around a bit with it. @skyhawk, your set up sounds interesting. Can you provide a picture of what these look like and where the buttons are located? I assume then that you do not offer two buttons inside the booth, one for color and one for black and white.
  • skyhawk
    No, I do not offer choice of bw/color in the booth. Drunks would sit there and hold up the line deciding. Some brides did not like the inconsistency of the scrapbooks. (Alternating between color and bw). We do make some awesome overlays for bw sessions such as 1920's themed events, old Murder Mystery themes, etc, and I also adjusting lighting accordingly. I could not find a good happy medium flash power on the alienbee to make both color and bw look very nice on the photos, seemed like I was sacrificing quality...

I'll try to get a pic posted later, posting this on my phone now...
  • miker1267
    I use ahk scripts for the Kensington Presenter. The left button zooms out, the right button zooms in, and the down arrow reprints.The up arrow worked when I got the device for starting the booth session. Here is the script I use for the left arrow. It has been a while since I created it but I think I only added the top two lines. The rest was already there.

#ifwinactive, Breeze Systems Photobooth
    Pgup:: Send {down}

; AutoHotkey Version: 1.x
    ; Language: English
    ; Platform: Win9x/NT
    ; Author: A.N.Other
    ;
    ; Script Function:
    ; Template script (you can customize this template by editing "ShellNewTemplate.ahk" in your Windows folder)
    ;

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
    SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

I'm also very new to the scripts but it works. If you are interested I can copy the other two.
  • bitcraft
    How does the zoom work? Is that a digital zoom?
  • miker1267
    It just zooms the Powershot camera in and out, one step at a time. It is great for adjustments between large groups and individuals or couples or vice versa. It is mechanical or I guess optical.
  • snapngophotoaz
    @miker1267 I am very interested in getting the copies of the other two. As luck would have it, I ordered the wireless keyboard as Lorne suggested, and it is due to arrive today. However over the weekend I was at a flea market and found a Logitech wireless pointer for $5.00. So now that I have both I want to try it.
  • miker1267
    Here are the other two scripts:

For repeat prints;

b::

Send ^r

;

; Script Function:

; Template script (you can customize this template by editing "ShellNewTemplate.ahk" in your Windows folder)

;

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.

SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.

For zoom in:

Pgdn:: Send {up}

;

; Script Function:

;