Less is More

smilebox
When I started I was very enthusiastic about offering a nice variety of cool props to my clients, but I have found it is better to offer few but very nice props for people to enjoy.

People tend to make a mess with them, if there is too many and throw them around, whilst if they have lets say 2 nice wigs (The bobby wigs in strong colors are a HIT here) 2 boas, 2 pairs of clears glasses, and 2 speakers they are fine!

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • hilphoto
    I agree! The more you have available the less the guests take care of them. A few signs, 2 wigs, 3 hats, 3 sunglasses, some different blow up instruments are plenty.
  • miker1267
    Now is the time to stock up on props. The halloween stores will have everything marked down, usually 50% by Sunday.
  • cheese-it-up
    Is there a good place online to order props? I've used the Dollar Store stuff and man it last no time, we've had those big glasses fall apart on day one. The cheap boas make a horrible mess and I hate not cleaning it up. Thanks!
  • cheese-it-up
    Is there a good place online to order props? I've used the Dollar Store stuff and man it last no time, we've had those big glasses fall apart on day one. The cheap boas make a horrible mess and I hate not cleaning it up. Thanks!
  • bethestarphoto
    I agree. I bring a bin of props, but I don't put everything out. Enough to fill my 4' table and a couple blow up instruments standing on the floor (for 15 seconds lol). If I get a break I might swap some stuff out halfway or towards the end of the event.

Too much just makes clutter and then the guests can't even see what you have anyway. And when I put out more of stuff I find I will "lose" more (i.e. to the dance floor, etc.) Much easier all the way around with "just enough" (not less!)
  • Unknown
    I have been accumulating a large selection of props lately. I want to work on a system to break them down into 3 categories for rental. I have invested in some better quality items (ie high quality boas) which definitely stand up to use. Although price is not always a guarantee that any particular item(s) will handle being misused or abused. Hence my plan to charge an additional rental fee for the better props. Clients will be offered categories to suit their needs/wants for rental.

The "standard" set will be included in the rental cost. It will consist of basic stick props (moustaches, lips etc) a few dry erase signs and small offering of easy to clean hats. Items that I won't cry over if they only last the one event.

Two upgradable options ("premium", "deluxe") will be available and include a wider variety of props. If these props are damaged, the upgrade extra fee should cover replacing or repairing them.

I polled a number of guests during one evening and asked them what were their favourite props and what other props/items would they like to see offered at a Photo Booth. Those goofy extra large sun glasses were high on the list. Personally I hate them, but I'll provide what ever is popular with clients. Besides, they're only $1.50 at the dollar store. If you can wait for the once a year Halloween sales, I found them for half price at my props store.

At one event, a few guests suggested more "risqee" items. We personally knew the crowd that night and thought props of that nature could be offered in the future as a special request for adults only clientele. Although I wouldn't be inclined to showcase guest photos as part of my portfolio. A couple of requests were a coconut bra, "fake boobs" and a hat with a male genitalia. And YES, all of those items are available to purchase.

I thought I'd better inventory my props since it's growing much larger, so I set up a table in the basement and captured several photos. Once I had every thing laid out, I realized that one table just wasn't enough for me to clearly see each item. I thought I had a visual record or every thing when I was finished, then found a couple more items in my office when I was downloading files.

The biggest job is to decide exactly HOW to categorize props into "standard", "premium" and "deluxe".

Deluxe will be the easiest for me to determine. I'm working towards purchasing FULL costumes (renaissance style) for high end events. I picked up a knights costume for $22 and it will fit a wide range of male body sizes, especially with a "belt". Women's clothing I can make myself. I found numerous patterns which I can customize so all that's required of a guest is to slide the costume over her arms and hold it closed with ties in the back. An open back style will also fit multiple sized bodies.

I always liked those photo set ups where you could dress in complete costumes of the "old west" with a scenic backdrop.

I've attached 3 images that covers 99% of my current props collection.
  • smilebox
    You have a very nice selection! I think your idea of categorizing is a very good one, basic included and the rest goes up at extra cost.

My thoughts regarding costumes: I am not how people would take it, because of timing issues. Please if you do it keep us posted!!!
  • smilebox
    That is exactly what has happened to me!!

@bethestarphoto wrote:I agree. I bring a bin of props, but I don't put everything out. Enough to fill my 4' table and a couple blow up instruments standing on the floor (for 15 seconds lol). If I get a break I might swap some stuff out halfway or towards the end of the event.

Too much just makes clutter and then the guests can't even see what you have anyway. And when I put out more of stuff I find I will "lose" more (i.e. to the dance floor, etc.) Much easier all the way around with "just enough" (not less!)
  • smilebox
    Since we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in South America, we sled into Christmas already!! Here are some of my Christmas props used over this weekend.

[img][/img[attachment=1:nai5xud3]Cotillon navideño.JPG[/attachment:nai5xud3]
  • scottishmovies
    I like your thinking RbE but I would limit it to two categories - inclusive and deluxe. The cheap items are in the inclusive package while more luxurious props and definitely the more expensive ones would be paid for. And as you say, over time the extra revenue would be able to replace these items.
  • boothpix
    We tend to judge a crowd, or should I say I do, when I set up I put a few out and see how they behave, adding to it as the night goes on if they're not OTT on trashing them. My partner, in contrast, always puts loads out and wonders why half are broken or missing.

Seriously thinking of adding an option to our packages that lets hirers keep the props - so essentially a bespoke box each time. Clearly at an agreed additional fee.
  • Unknown
    It is going to take me some time to work towards the FULL costume idea. Just to make them will take a number of months. In the mean time I am going to try a few tests with simple "costumes". I was thinking "Flintstones". My local fabric store has some nice animal style prints. I bought some ping-pong balls for 50 cents to make Wilma's l necklace which I intend to spray paint a pearlescent white and string them together with a thin strip of leather. I have way TOO many ideas and not enough time to act on all of them.

To expedite "changing", any costume would have to simply slip over the arms and tie around the back to make speedy changes. Every outfit would have to be "in one". By that I mean that if a shirt with sleeves and a vest were suppose to be part of an outfit, I'd make them as one piece. I'd eliminate the body of the shirt and sew the sleeves directly into the vest so it was all one piece.

Once I have it set up and have run a test, I'll be sure to post the results.
  • Minh
    i think I'm going to cut down too.

I use to do 6ft tables, but now I'm doing 4ft tables and only putting on there what fits.

i think imma change it to signs and mustaches soon.
  • info@photoboothmania.com.au
    Can i ask where you all place ur props for your guests? I currently use several boxes that i put infront of the stand so guests can change for each shot within their session. I have a 10 second count down which is just enough time to change over for the next shot but in doing so, guests do get a little to excited and just throw the props around which irks me. I was thinking to place the boxes away from the booth so the guests cant change in between shots but then i would have to reduce the countdown which turn may mean higher costs for me because guests are taking more pics!! Your suggestions would be appreciated!!

Current set up [IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/20/9b32f864d39c24ca2bed398985f2b6a1.jpg[/IMG]q
  • Mike
    Very nice setup Rahme I like the trunks for the props.