What to charge per photo strip

takeashot54
I am doing an upcoming event for a local festival and which I paid to participate at a flat rate. This is the first time I'm trying this type of venue. Thinking it would also give me good exposure. What is a fair price to charge per 2 x 6 strip? And if there are 5 people in the booth, would I charge each person the same price? What if I made 4 x 6...what would the charge be? And for duplicates? I was thinking $3 per 2 x 6 strip and $2 for ea additional strip of the same photo. If I did 4 x 6, then I would want to charge $3 ea. Has anyone had a pay per strip event?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • instantmemories
    We did Dancing For A Cause, they paid us upfront. It is a fundraising event, so they charged $5 for each 4X6 print. They picked up $400.
  • instantmemories
    You have to make sure people know that you don't charge by the strip at regular events. A lot of people will just assume that you always charge by the strip.
  • indy99
    I charge 3.00 per person, 5 people 15.00 each person gets a strip of photos.

Have not had a lot of luck with cash events. I'm staying with pre=paid events.

twomenandaphotobooth,com
  • ljmcgill
    We did a cash event recently. Wish we hadn't. Charged $5 per photo in a cardboard frame with $2 going to benefit and $3 to us. Made $440 for four hours. Next time someone wanted me to do it that way, I would only do it with a guaranteed minimum. We were told we could do between 600-900 and would be swamped. Did five photos the first hour of the fair and the rest in the remaining three hours.
  • cptlong
    For us, it all depends upon the venue. At large Comic Cons, people think that $10 per strip is a bargain. At smaller cons, and out in the "civilian" world, $5 is accepted. One technique that you could try is to approach the event organizer and quote them your "special rate" for doing the event. Tell them that you will charge $x per strip, and the money will go back to the organizer, up to the agreed amount. So, if you charge, say $500, and you collect $550, you'd have $50 extra to go with your rate charge, and the organizer will get his investment back. If you fall short, you still get your rate, and the organizer gets some money back, so they still get a good deal for having you there.
  • Mystickal1
    We've done a few festivals and fundraisers on a pay per use basis. I know going in, I'm not making any money. I just do it for exposure. I usually charge $2 for a print - 2 strips or 1 4x6 and $1 for reprints. Even at those low prices, I have never cleared more than $100. I have found that if I try to charge more than $2 people won't do it. I usually have more people want to buy the props than want to take pictures.
  • necheez
    We are doing a "twist" on this at an upcoming company holiday party. The company that hired us didn't want to pay the full price, so we charged them half price just to show up, then the guests/employees at the party are paying $2.00 for two strips, and $2.00 if they would like to blow up any of the photos to a 4x6. We'll see how it goes.....
  • necheez
    @necheez wrote:We are doing a "twist" on this at an upcoming company holiday party. The company that hired us didn't want to pay the full price, so we charged them half price just to show up, then the guests/employees at the party are paying $2.00 for two strips, and $2.00 if they would like to blow up any of the photos to a 4x6. We'll see how it goes.....

Just to follow up.... It did not go well! We collected $66. Part of the problem was they scheduled the photo booth to operate at the same time they were serving dinner and doing awards. Had they booked us for later in the evening, we may have sold more sessions. My bad in not quizzing them more about their agenda for the evening. We won't do it again.
  • takeashot54
    Thanks for all the feedback! My event in in 3 weeks - I'm thinking $3.00 for the 1st 2x6 strip and $2.00 for each additional or maybe $5.00 for the 1st 2 strips and and $2.00 for ea additional. You all have me a little worried that I made a mistake getting into this, but, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I will post after Jan 25th and let you know how it went.
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    It looks good by the numbers......, but in reality, it just doesn't fit our business model. Good luck! Looking forward in hearing how it goes for you!
  • diamondphoto
    We've tried different models of pay-by-strip pricing systems and none ever end up being profitable. Save yourself the time or do it for exposure alone but don't expect to make anything at these events if you value your time. On a side note...in some states you may be able to write off a booth as a tax-deductible donation. I'm not an accountant or lawyer so don't ask me the specifics.
  • nzphotobooth
    I charge $2 per person and the each get a strip
  • takemypicturedon
    I set mine up at a Cheerleading competition. I charged each person who entered $1 and each person got a 2x6 strip. I was there for 4 hours and brought in $205 and did not have a vendors fee. The cheerleaders and parents loved it. I also booked 3 weddings from the event.