Unattended children

buzzkcphoto
buzzkcphoto
Seems like just about every event has them. At family based events especially. Parents tend to let their kids wander, knowing they are in safe/good company. Therefore they visit the entertainment areas by themselves, especially when we bring toy boxes. :-) They return over and over and over, run off with props, pop in on other guests in the booth, or just like to push the buttons. You almost always learn there names and let out a big breath when they get fulfilled and move on.

Though tempting, giving them lots of sugar and caffeine is usually avoided. Many times we ask them to go get their brother, sister, or mom to come take some pictures with them. Or tell them that one of the shots is really good, and they should show their parents right away. I've even had a few that I give them the prints and they hand them to the guest as they come out of the booth for me, they really feel appreciated helping out.

So what are some of your techniques for working with them?

Comments

• scottishmovies
    scottishmovies
    I hate the little so-and-so's!! Well, most of them! Seriously, I ALWAYS try to get them on my side and then use them to go and collect props which are "gone astray to the dance floor" so they can have another go in the booth - works nearly every time. I also try to point out to the unruly ones that they can only have another shot in the booth if their parents are with them - they tend not to come back - yay! If they are well behaved I don;t mind, it;s the noisy ones who want to kick everything in site, break props etc that I detest and could easily break their little necks - although I keep smiling and get through it all somehow without causing them injury :)
  • carlrez
    carlrez
    <blockquote style="font-family: Arial, Verdana;font-size: 10pt;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;font-weight: normal;line-height: normal">I've even had a few that I give them the prints and they hand them to the guest as they come out of the booth for me, they really feel appreciated helping out.</blockquote>

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">That is an excellent tip! Thanks for sharing.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana;font-size: 10pt;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;font-weight: normal;line-height: normal">
    </div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">My wife regularly participates in a travelling consignment sale called "Just between friends". Whatever venue they rent out, they always have a sign posted at the entry way that says "untattended children will be given a cappuccino and a puppy".</font></div>
  • BrianS
    BrianS
    <P>I do not allow unattended minors in the booth. Our lawyer also cautions us not to help minors onto the bench or touch them in any way due to this crappy litigious society.</P>

<P>It's too bad... I love kids!</P>
  • Mike
    Mike
    We require younger children to leave the curtain open. We also require those too small to show up in the pictures to be accompanied by an adult, ideally their guardian.<div>
    </div><div>I too am very cautious about physical contain and most definitely do NOT allow children to stand on the bench. All of my attendants are instructed to do the same.</div>