Use of Photos on a Website - Is it legal to post anyone's?

alice
alice
Hi owners -- what do you think? I took my booth to a State Fair and the "Western Dress-Up Photos" lady told me any photo I take on my camera belongs to me. I would LOVE to post "50 Things To Do in a Photo Booth" using 50 photos I collected from various festivals. "Do the Back-to-Back" , "Call Me!" etc. They are very cute and in good taste -- Nothing raunchy. If anyone asked me to remove theirs personally, obviously I would, but I'm scared to post the slideshow on my website. Should I be wary?

Comments

• buzzkcphoto
    buzzkcphoto
    It's a pretty gray area Alice, but I suspect that since most of our events are not public, using them our sites is probably not valid without permission. Public events are a different story but it's a question of if there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. We usually have a sign up that all pictures will be viewable our our website, which is usually on our table, but considering putting it inside the booth too. I figure they have the option to not use the booth and have been informed.

I've had a few folks ask me not to put them on the website gallery, but all because they didn't care for the pics taken, which I did remove them<span>.
    </span>
  • alice
    alice
    Thanks, Buzz. Your idea of displaying a sign is a good one. Do you ask the client to sign a "model release form"? I use a standard model release form, but it appears to only be for the client upon re-reading it. It doesn't really say any or all pictures will be viewable on my website. Maybe I need to change the wording?
  • Kat
    Kat
    I have actually considered having a model release form during the events. If I see a pose I would like to use on my website or for promotional purposes, I want a form on hand to ask the people's permission to use their photo. I don't feel comfortable posting people's photos online without permission and it is something I preach constantly to my teen daughter not to do on Facebook.
  • Kat
    Kat
    I have seen booth contracts with a small paragraph stating photos are the photo booth owner's property and may be used but the guest do not see this clause--only the person hiring the booth. I hate to get caught up in a legal battle over that one.
  • Martica
    Martica
    <p>Kat, I've also considered having a model release form on hand at events. I always post some pics from every event on our Facebook page. In a year I've only had 1 person ask me to remove a photo and 1 bride asked me not to post her wedding pics.</p><p> </p>
  • Mike
    Mike
    I have only ever had 2 requests not to make galleries public and have never had a request to take down a photo in nearly 4 years.
  • alice
    alice
    <p>Thanks, guys! I'm taking my chances. I just posted "50 Things To Do in a Photobooth" on my homepage - - and I smile every time I've edited it. <u>brilliantphotobooth.com</u></p><p>Aside - I removed my prices for this website version. I haven't had a booking since I raised my prices $50/event. Disappointment Galore!</p><p> </p>
  • carlrez
    carlrez
    hey @alice, great job on the "50 Things" slide show :)<div>
    </div><div>on the aside, i wonder if you ran a "special" for $50 off if it would change anything? just a thought.</div>