How do you differentiate yourself from the crowd?

Mike
Mike
Thought it might be nice to discuss techniques for differentiating one's company from the crowd. In my area we are now one of two (was the only one for a few years). Our booths are curtained, theirs are not. We use D-SLR cameras and dye-sub printers, they do not. We provide a series of value-adds like personalized DVDs, custom videos, personalized signs for the booth.<div>
</div><div>What are some of the techniques you have or are using?</div>

Comments

• buzzkcphoto
    buzzkcphoto
    As many booth companies as we have in our area (20 or more), I have hardly had to compare ours to others. We try to give a lot of information on our website, probably too much for some folks, but I want clients to be informed. We price fairly and give them choices to feel like they are getting their money's worth.

Many of our competitors give the feeling of nickel and diming the client for many things we include, such as basic props and even custom overlays. We do charge for extended prop packages, but won't charge if the client wants to bring their own.
  • alice
    alice
    <p>Good question. I don't know what the others do, so I can't compare. I thought this site would help me figure it out. There's so much range--from people using PowerShot Cameras to DSLRs. This is what I try to do different --- 1. make my backdrops look rich and clean. I've seen the shoddiest photostrip shots with curtain rings hanging down behind the guests. Gross! 2. Give people fun things to think about doing in the booth. Definitely Free Props! 2nd free prints used to be a "promo" for booking early -- I removed it and have always given 2nd print if someone asks for it anyway (4 in the booth,, etc.) It's just a touch on the screen to get one. So -- backdrops, props, poses. Am I missing something? I am just NOT getting bookings! And I wonder if the other guys are? Someone is, cause every venue says, yea, we get photobooths in here all the time. (???) Sorry about the sour grapes. See my new 50 THINGS TO DO IN A PHOTOBOOTH on my homepage: brilliantphotobooth.com (mostly from the State Fairs) And YES, I use DSLR, Alien Bee lighting, Fully curtained booth with 4" bench (fits 6+), SnapLab printing.</p><p>On the Spot Printing -- have to clarify that now. Last week I got a call from a lady who said they went to an event where the printed photo-strips were MAILED 10 days later! Is that what our competition is doing? Shame on them!</p>
  • Mike
    Mike
    I like the 50 things to do in a photo booth.
  • buzzkcphoto
    buzzkcphoto
    Alice, the website is looking really good. Have you thought about adding some pics of your booth itself? People like to know what to expect. We've had folks compliment and pick us just because they knew it would look good at the venue.

Love the 50 things to do...great idea. I like all of the examples as well for overlays.
  • Unknown
    We make sure everyone in the photo gets a a print every time they go in. We also use dslr's and dye subs and we pride ourselves on our photo quality
  • Mike
    Mike
    @Jamierat Do you control the number of prints from outside the booth? <div>
    </div><div>I was working on facial detection in our software to determine how many prints to produce. Haven't got it where I want it to date (haven't worked on it in a while either).</div>
  • Unknown
    Yes, we use breeze so If we see 6 go in we press ctrl 3 which prints 3 4x6 cut for 6 strips
  • Mike
    Mike
    So very manual. Do you take a keyboard to ever event? Is there a similar gesture for a touch screen?<div>
    </div><div>The reason I ask is that we have back USB keyboards that have been used exactly 1 time in our last 40 events (when we switched over to our new booths).</div>
  • alice
    alice
    <p>Getting in on this discussion. I use Lenovo's wireless keyboard. <a href="http://www.bing.com/shopping/lenovo-multimedia-remote-with-backlit-keyboard-n5902-keyboard/p/F30646374CA3CB5A0001?q=lenovo+wireless+keyboard&lpq=lenovo%20wireless%20keyboard&FORM=HURE">http://www.bing.com/shopping/lenovo-multimedia-remote-with-backlit-keyboard-n5902-keyboard/p/F30646374CA3CB5A0001?q=lenovo+wireless+keyboard&lpq=lenovo%20wireless%20keyboard&FORM=HURE</a></p><p>It's a little hard to see in the dark, but runs on one AAA battery. Very small. Controls perfectly. Just dont' forget WHERE you put it! (need a lanyard hookup for it!) Also, I use the touchscreen sometimes bottom right for extra print. Just reach around and touch it for extra copies.</p><p>Thanks for the Website feedback. I've really struggled with it and for the first time in 2 years feel it's ALMOST where I want it! I just took the photos of my booth OFF the website. After wedding this weekend hope to get updated pix of it and add them again. THANKS! Your positive words made me feel great !</p>
  • Mike
    Mike
    Those some nice tips. Prints for everyone is a nice feature.

About how many physical prints do produce at an event?
  • alice
    alice
    2.5 to 3 hours - 100-110 Pix. We almost always stay 15 minutes more than we thought, and never had anyone say they "missed" getting their pix taken -- so I feel that's pretty successful even though it doesn't seem like a lot of pix. Only the band once felt left out, but we invited them before the gig, and they showed up after they packed their truck! Too late! I'd like to be more tech savvy - had to buy the "Facebook for Dummies" book the other day. I don't understand a lot of what the others are talking about on the site. That's really ok with me (mostly), as I also want to distinguish my booth as available --even to those who feel they can't afford it. Unfortunately, that hasn't worked real well for me, as I still lose a lot of gigs because it's "too much". Makes me wonder what the other guys in my area are charging?