Lighting Questions

glitzbooth
glitzbooth
I'm starting to work on the layout for the front of my booth (camera, monitor and lighting placement) and I'm trying to get advise on lighting. Has anyone used ring flashes? Do they work as well as building a light box towards the top of the booth?

Comments

• carlrez
    carlrez
    If my budget wasn't as tight as it is, I would have opted for a ring flash.<div>
    </div><div>One reason was because it gives you more mounting options. In the booth I'm building the camera is sitting in a lower position than I would have liked because I needed the room above the camera for the light box. A ring flash could eliminate that completely.</div>
  • studiokeko
    studiokeko
    I'm seriously considering a ring flash as well. Besides the practical side, I simply like the oval shaped catchlight it creates in the eyes and the overall result. Simply personal preference. Besides the ring flash, I'm thinking about placing a second soft light that fills up the background and softens the hard shadows, created by the ring flash. Having just one light source will obviously create shadows in the opposite direction so these need to be compensated. Unless you want that 'dramatic' look of a bright object versus a very dark background. So besides the practical sides, I guess it's also a matter of what you prefer when it comes to the 'look' of the pictures. When it comes to lighting, I will definitely contact a strobist or studio photographers for advice. I know it will be a challenge but to me personally, the lighting is a crucial aspect for the result I'm eventually aiming for so I'm willing to invest the time and money that is needed to create the right solution.
  • carlrez
    carlrez
    I don't know anything about lighting, but one possibility that your comment brought to mind was a setup like this...<div>
    </div><div>Ring light/camera set a little higher up above the monitor with a light on each side of the camera to add fill lighting.</div><div>
    </div><div>Does anyone know how well/poorly a setup like that would function?
    <div>
    </div></div>
  • Mike
    Mike
    I have seen other doing similar setups without the ring flash, so I would suspect it would do fairly well.
  • buzzkcphoto
    buzzkcphoto
    Personally I prefer to get my camera as close to the monitor as possible to keep the guest's eyes in somewhat the right direction. Even with tahe arrows that say "Look Here" they tend to watch themselves in the screen instead, so helps with at least the strip photos looking correct, but can usually tell in larger prints or on screen.
  • glitzbooth
    glitzbooth
    @Buzzkcphoto That is a good idea to keep it close to the monitor. I never really thought of people tending to look at the monitor. I was looking into ring flashes but I think I'm going to try to mount led lights on the upper part, kind of like how @carlrez put in his photo. I already have a studio flash anyways. I guess the whole issue now is just placement and execution of the mounting.
  • Mike
    Mike
    I too have my camera right on top of the screen and I also have people stare at themselves. Even with a large yellow look here sign and a screen that has a look up (in place of the live view).
  • Jan
    Jan
    I use an led strip on top of the monitor and it works great.It also doesn't generate any heat which helps because it does get warm inside those drapes during the summer.
  • scottishmovies
    scottishmovies
    I'm curious about the LED strip - tell me more! We usually tell them to LOOK at the lens and even that can ed in failure! Pointing to it doesn't seem to help either :) I have thought of disabling the live view during the final phase - does anyone else disable the live view during shooting? If so, do you have better results doing this?
  • studiokeko
    studiokeko
    Curious about the led strip as well. I know leds can produce a decent amount of light though i would love to see some examples.
  • Mike
    Mike
    @scottishmovies my live view is turned off 1 second prior to the photo being taken. In place of it is a huge up arrow that says look up. It has helped a lot, but is far from having completely stop people from the look down stare.
  • Mike
    Mike
    This <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00462Z5C6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00462Z5C6&linkCode=as2&tag=buaphbo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00462Z5C6">GTMax ring flash</a> is quite affordable, might have to order one and try it out.
  • glitzbooth
    glitzbooth
    @mike do you think it would be bright enough for a booth? I was actually re-thinking everything since my last post and I was considering buying the <a href="http://www.paulcbuff.com/abr800.php">AlienBees ABR800 Ring flash</a>. I had the change of mind because of trying to figure out how to add a huge light box at the top and make it flush with the front of the abs haircell.
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    keep in mind... ring flashes by design are meant to be used fairly close to their subject. The "look" of a ring flash is one where the light falls off fairly quickly because they are used this way. Used farther back, as in to light up a whole booth, they "may" lose their distinctive look. You'd have to test and find the sweet spot for locating it. I use constant light but I have as much lighting below camera level as above. Same glamor look.

On the "look here" thing... I use a webcam and I have it placed right on the top edge of my 23" monitor inside the booth. Breeze's countdown timer is about 2" below that, right on top of the monitor and the live view is below that. My booth is 5' deep. So even if the guests stare at themselves in the live view the whole time and don't look at the camera, it still looks like they are due to the distance they are from the camera/countdown/live view and how close together those 3 things are. Tougher to do with a DSLR, but it would help.

I never even mention where the camera is and don't have any signage inside the booth.
  • studiokeko
    studiokeko
    Thanks Lorne, I was just about to mention that. A ring flash is the most effective at smaller distances. I know Capture Pod uses ring flashes but their booth is also relatively small.<div>
    </div><div>Some great insight on the 'look here' issue by everyone so far. Another thing to think about.</div>
  • alice
    alice
    <p> Did anyone notice that the alienbee ring flash is $400. It must be just as powerful as the alienbee B800 (up to 320 watts it says). That's got to be much more powerful than the LED ring flash mentioned above. I've been using alienbeeB400 and it's so powerful, using it at 1/2 power, It needs a filter. (5x5 canopy booth without top) I too disable the live view during the shot. Sometimes, not always it still looks like guests are looking at the monitor. I also use an arrow to remind "look up" during the "release" jpg (breeze).</p><p> </p>
  • Mike
    Mike
    lol..I never noticed that they have one. That puppy is a beast!
  • Sharonwilliams925
    Sharonwilliams925
    What kind of lighting works best with a webcam?
  • buzzkcphoto
    buzzkcphoto
    Constant lighting, such as a model light would probably be best.
  • glitzbooth
    glitzbooth
    Sorry about not posting for a few days...been really busy...@Mike the flash was delivered a few days ago and it is truly a beast! I'll try to post some pictures within the next day or so.
  • Mike
    Mike
    Awesome. Post some test shots when you get to that point.
  • glitzbooth
    glitzbooth
    @Mike, sorry once again for the delay. I received my panels back today from a company that waterjet cut them. Here is a picture of the flash in the panel with the modeling light on. As soon as everything is up and running I'll post some test strips.
  • Mike
    Mike
    Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing how well this lights up a multi-person photo.
  • jjsteele
    jjsteele
    I decided to start with just the flash on my Canon T3. I added a Gary Fong diffuser that fits on the hot shoe. Works great with no harsh shadows and smooth even lighting. On occaision, I'll up the fash depending the ambient lighting. Honestly, I can't see any difference and the Fong diffuser was about 15 bucks! I use an LED strip for general lighting. It provides a really nice eye twinkle too.
  • jjsteele
    jjsteele
    Thought it might be good to show an example.