Arcade buttons vs touch screen butttons

photoboothking
photoboothking
Whats a better route to take for selection of color or b/w pictures. Touch screen buttons or arcade style buttons?

Comments

• Mike
    Mike
    I like touch screens personally. Buttons will work just as good, it is really a matter of preference.
  • photoboothking
    photoboothking
    i like touch too, but heard scratches on screen my cause it not to work, then again I know people with push buttons which now dont work
  • Mike
    Mike
    All my screens are scratch free after 3+ years. You do need to make sure you get good screens though.
  • skyhawk
    skyhawk
    Maybe it's my particular service area, but our male patrons seem to be very agressive with the equipment, and are usually slamming the stealthswitch to start the sessions. A friend of mine who got me started in the biz operates a major PB/DJ service in another state. He had to refund a client after a guest got mad at a particular photo preview and punched the screen. Something jarred internally with the monitor and breeze locked up completely, he couldn't continue the event 'blind' even. I carry spares for just about anything, but a broken 'punchscreen' monitor would be a show stopper for me.

I don't even offer b/w / color choice at session time anymore. Drunks get confused and sit there forever deciding.
  • Minh
    Minh
    U really do have to dumb it down for the clients. They get into it and so anxious they can't read and it ends up they sit there til I reach in and press the start button for them. I do see a lot of the older crowds they do like to press a little harder then normal. It makes me squirm. If I could do it again, I'd do 2 buttons. One for start, and one for color choice, and maybe one for reprints.
  • carlrez
    carlrez
    I used 2 Griffin Powermates at first but then later upgraded to a touchscreen. I really like the touchscreen setup. I have it set up so one shoots in color and the other black and white. I also have a zone defined in breeze in the top left of the screen to exit full screen photo booth mode, and one on the top right to reprint the last set. That has come in handy and has been really convenient when large groups get into the booth so I can reprint extras for them.
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    isn't alcohol wonderful?

Let me add... even at events without alcohol, a guest often just doesn't have that innate ability to size up what needs to be done to start their experience. And IMO signage just slows the whole process down.

Buttons, screens etc.. I've tried them all. Now I use me. I trigger the booth with a bluetooth keypad. I arrange the guest and say "here we go" They love the personal angle.

And I can go fast. faster than they can go on their own. Last Saturday I ran 189 sessions in 3 hours. Faster than 1 a minute.

Another thing I dislike about touchscreens when I have used them... the "pros" who come in and think they can run at 1000 mph pushing the screens at warp speed. Bank machines may take keystrokes at those speeds, but not a photo booth.
  • Soundsations
    Soundsations
    There is only one tap of my booths to get them started. Touch screen only for me. My clients love them and keeps me on the "cutting edge" I think when it's compared to a standard button.
  • Unknown
    <blockquote>There is only one tap of my booths to get them started. Touch screen only for me. My clients love them and keeps me on the "cutting edge" I think when it's compared to a standard button.</blockquote>

Yes, but my button makes a cutting edge CLICK when you press it!<div>
    </div><div>And people can kick it, which they seem to enjoy far too much at times :p</div>
  • alice
    alice
    <p>Hey, Skyhawk, I hear you. I haven't offered B&W for ages now, and no one's ever asked about it. After being disappointed with the B&W prints and deciding they actually really wanted color, some guests could never figure out how to get the color -- they just continued to press B&W (hello!!!). I use the touchscreen only now (guests cannot read the buttons!) I use a large graphic of a finger touching the screen with the words below it: press here to start. It's all color. Things have been running much more smoothly. Except business is WAY too slow.</p><p> </p>
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    For the benefit of those who are not yet up and running and struggling with the button vs. screen issue may I offer this in defense of our guests...

Our guests are not *all* stupid. Like any other group of 100+ people, there are those who are truly challenged to read and write and understand. This is a small number.

What I see at my events, and I'm sure the more experienced here will agree, is that a great number of guests simply just lose their mind when they are in and around a photo booth.

Joy. Liquor. Excitement. Testosterone. Regression to childhood. Hormones.

It all adds up to what you read about here. People don't read. People don't listen. Some people don't even care. People can be hard to deal with.

They don't mean to be this way. They are at a party. They are having fun and socializing. Their agenda is different from ours.

I see our challenge is to accept this and provide for it. Don't expect too much from them. Don't expect them to read. Don't expect them to listen. Be realistic. The simpler your system and process is, the better your results. An open mind and the ability to go with the flow is a huge advantage.

I have been a wedding photographer for 20+ years. I have interacted and dealt with each and every vendor type at a wedding or corporate function. None have to put up with what we do as photo booth operators. Every drunk jerk straightens up when they get to the bar in order to keep getting served. Try snapping at your food server and see where that gets you. DJs may be close, but guests always remember the DJ has something they want, so be nice to them.

This was my harshest lesson when I started boothing.

It does get better. I have recently started doing a number of bar/bat mitzvahs. Completely different atmosphere.

That's my experience. Your mileage may vary.
  • alice
    alice
    Hi Lorne == Great comments! I couldn't agree with you more! I went to the touchscreen because the guests LITERALLY couldn't read the buttons. It's dark in there and my buttons were Skinny White Font on Clear Red Coasters with Little Lights behind them... Impossible to read. One poor lady even hit the "OFF" button on my computer in her desperation! I consider the Touchscreen with Finger Pointer a gift to the guests! All they really want to do is get their picture taken after all!

My hubby went with to our last gig -- 95 screaming, squirly Pre-Teens with a blasting Great DJ and bad pizza. He complained about the photos having to be cut in half (he couldn't go fast enough) and I tried to help him understand... they don't care if it takes a moment. We are Entertainment and that's part of the "Circus" and the "Magic"... they wait anxiously, look everywhere, compare, get back in line, jump, shout and laugh -- that's what we get paid for! In fact, I feel priviledged at every gig for the joy of being allowed to watch! It's a hoot!
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    Lucktech Photobooths
    I built both for my booth. I started the process thinking I would use arcade buttons, but once I realized how flexible the touchscreen would make things, I found a great deal on ebay and bought one. I don't feel like the button approach was a waste of time however. The buttons will be a backup system that I can deploy through an access port incase of touchscreen failure.
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    Lucktech Photobooths
    Realize I have not done an official event yet, but using breeze webcam photobooth I have experimented with it and found no troubles doing it.
  • Mike
    Mike
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">@Minh probably but might be a bit confusing. I did gesture recognition tests in late 2010 with a Kinect integrated. People were confused by gestures then, might be more applicable these days. I see others have come out with similar functionality.</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">
    </font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">
    </font></div>

<div>
    </div><div>Credit: http://www.itouchbooth.com/</div>
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    Lucktech Photobooths
    I don't think I would try to use both for a standard routine, only on emergency basis.