Sharing options for Mac Booths running Aperture and/or DSLRBooth

Unknown
Hello fellow Photo booth owners! First off, how cool is this website? I can't believe I waited this long to join the community!<div>
</div><div>My Photobooth is open-air style and has been a huge hit in the Las Vegas area. My wife, brother and I are all working tirelessly to give it the best features possible. I was just wondering how those of you who allow instant sharing with your booths do it? I know sparkbooth and the other premade softwares have their own sharing abilities, but this is for you Mac users out there trying to enhance their product!</div><div>
</div><div>Right now, my website uses SmugMug as an image hosting source. With the EYE-FI wireless card, all images taken from the photo booth (Nikon D3200 tethered to a 21.5 inch iMac) are uploaded right to SmugMug. Within 3 minutes, all pictures taken in the booth are on our website. I have a "share station" set up near the booth with 3 ipads... The ipads are locked into our Smugmug site and customers can walk over and browse the gallery, find their pictures and email or share them as they wish! </div><div>
</div><div>Another good thing to use is Photostream through iCloud. All photos taken and imported to aperture 3 or iphoto are automatically put through to the photostream. Anyone can then log into that photo stream and do with the pictures as they please. Granted, photostream uploaded seems to be pretty touch and go. I'd recommend either being hardwired to the internet or bringing your own MiFi network so other's arent sucking the bandwidth from the wireless area you are in.</div><div>
</div><div>Anyone else have useful ways to share their customer's/event's pictures? </div><div>
</div><div>Thanks!</div><div>Ryan</div><div>www.fotobomblv.com</div>

Comments

• LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    welcome Ryan..

So you're not printing as part of your booth? Digital/online only?

Other than Sparkbooth, I am not aware of any Mac booth software that shares socially. The kiosk option in Sparkbooth is good. You could use it alongside your existing workflow. You don't have to use the booth part.

Although I can't see what extra functionality you'd get by using a kiosk software. Smugmug gets you pretty much all of that already. Maybe local printing?

I looked in to Photostream and found it too flaky, as you've hinted at.
  • Unknown
    Thanks Lorne!<div>
    </div><div>We do printing as well with a different package. I just remember searching months and months for good Mac software for DIY Photo booth companies and finding nada. DSRLBooth works but it is still a young software. Right now I just do run tethered to Aperture in full screen mode and that seems to work fine. </div><div>
    </div><div>SmugMug works brilliantly so far! I just have to remind guests to refresh the page for their new pictures.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for your input!</div>
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    you're welcome...

It's a windows world for booth apps. Run bootcamp/VMware/Parallels and you can keep your hardware.

I think what you will find is that the home rolled solutions help you understand your needs and when the business warrants it, time to look for an application.

I use Smugmug to host the post-event galleries, as do many members here. My concern in how you use it would be in the timeliness of the gallery. I don't think Smugmug would give you any assurance that uploads will be visible in your gallery within x seconds.

I could be wrong on that. Might be worth asking them. A purpose built app would be built to populate your galleries in real time.
  • Unknown
    You're absolutely right and that has been my main worry with the auto-uploading feature as well... SO FAR it has worked out nicely, but I have a big NYE event with a lot of traffic coming up and I am a tiny bit worried about lag time. <div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    FYI... Photobooth Connected has just added a background SmugMug uploader that will populate a gallery as the evening unfolds.

I don't know if he is using an API of some sort that may be more reliable. The developer is very helpful and maybe you can ask him.

https://www.photoboothconnected.com/
  • Unknown
    Good find! I'm checking it out.<div>
    </div>
  • Minh
    Minh
    dude.. i'm totally a mac guy I got imacs and macbooks and iPads and iphones galore... but i wanted to use a DSLR and a touchscreen.. you can forget about it with a mac. Lol. (heres a hint.. i work for the fruit company too) only thing i could find is Breeze Photobooth for mac, but then they don't offer video, but then again, i jsut gave up the video portion recently (not a big seller for me). Breeze would probably be the best one but i really want a touchscreen usage and it's hard finding a monitor that works with a mac for a touchscreen. and then you hve to deal with the printer drivers for a mac.. smh... i wish it were easier =
  • Unknown
    I agree Minh! <div>
    </div><div>The photo booth industry isn't easy for us Mac'ers :)</div><div>
    </div><div>It is slowly coming together, though. I don't mind not having a touch screen... After the DSLR takes the photos our customers just walk over to a share station of iPads and can do with their photos what they want. It actually saves time this way. Instead of them taking pics and then walking up to the screen to share/edit the photos, they get out of the way and do it on an iPad while the next group of customers gets up and starts taking photos. </div><div>
    </div><div>Glad to know there is another Mac booth in here!</div>