Are you running social media kiosk?

Mike
Mike
So there has been lots of discussion around this forum and other places in regards to providing social media access at events. In booth, out of booth, on an iPad, through a phone app, etc. I thought it would be nice to see who is running them now and how have they been received?<div>
</div><div>Some topics starters for me is:</div><div>
</div><div>1. Are you charging an additional fee for this service? Care to share how much?</div><div>
</div><div>2. What are people saying about the kiosk? You things like man that was awesome!</div><div>
</div><div>3. Are you using the venues wifi or a mifi/hotspot from a cellular provider? Who/what are you using?</div><div>
</div><div>This is a very cool addon service for photo booths and definitely are a great upsell in my mind. This is why I am offering this in my market this year. I haven't done an event with one yet but have done some private parties as safe tests with great results.</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>So what are you doing?</div>

Comments

• Unknown
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I'm debuting my at a wedding show on the 19th/20th. It will normally be an add-on priced at $100-$150 once I establish how much people will pay, but it will be a free-bee for anyone booking at the wedding show. Actually I might give away a 'code' at the wedding show so they can book later and still get it free.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana;font-size: 10pt;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;font-weight: normal;line-height: normal">
    </div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I have it setup with a mifi, currently sharing 6gb/month of data with my wife's cell plan. I'm a bit concerned about possible reception issue in one of the popular local venues, but there's an external antenna accessory I can get that should boost it nicely.</font></div>
  • Dodie
    Dodie
    My concern is how of my data plan will it use?
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    1. No.
    2. They love it. I am the only one they've seen so far. I've brought it to 6 events now and the same comments. Some have even given away their print after using the kiosk. The requests for extra prints have dropped to almost nil.
    3. Both, dependent on the quality of the venue's wifi. This has been my largest obstacle to date. Flaky wifi is not handled well by these apps. This is due to them wanting to go to "hold and send later" if no wifi is detected.

I am not upselling right now, because as I am the only operator offering it, nobody fully understands what I'm offering. When it's included, they can't object. If I attach a value to it, this gives them a chance to say no. My plan is to continue to include it, but ease my base rate up. I am not a fan of addons.
  • Mike
    Mike
    Your thoughts on the movement of your base price and automatic inclusion is spot on with my thoughts. I agree throw it in and move your price point up to recoup your expenses.<div>
    </div><div>The internet connection issue is definitely the largest variable in the equation of social kiosks. I am still looking for a good, no contract/obligation means to deliver in venues not allowing WiFi access.</div><div>
    </div><div>Would love to hear what others are doing in regards to internet connectivity.</div>
  • Minh
    Minh
    I'm gonna start doing this too. And I'm not going to charge. It's free advertising. Why charge? You're getting emails, and they're posting posting on their Facebook to show other people. It's a win win situation.<div>
    </div><div>you get people to unclutter from the booth, you get free advertising, you get emails for subsciption emails, you get people to love the brand more because you're not asking for more money but you're giving them more. </div><div>
    </div><div>good job Lorne ;)</div><div>
    </div><div>Internet connection is gonna be pretty bad.. i was thinking about doing the hotspot on an iphone but then thats just gonna get crazy.. maybe i'll do a mobile hotspot form ATT or someone, but in a way it might just be worth it.. even if you only have one booth rental in a month. your bill would be but $40-50 for the wifi. That's totally justifiable.</div>
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    FYI...

I am going to test a hybrid of PBC & BYOB at my next event on Friday.

My plan is to fire up both PhotoBoothConnected & Bring Your Own Booth. I'll run BYOB as designed, to capture Instagram/Twitter pictures with a specific hashtag. I will copy those composited files (ie: full 4x6 size) into the watched folder of PBC. BYOB will run minimized and the guest will not use or see its GUI.

So the grid in PBC will be populated with both the BYOB pictures and the PBC booth pictures. Meaning that guests will see not only the booth pictures, but their own that they've uploaded. This will allow them to print their pictures, or reshare the composited versions.

I see this as perhaps a wedding only offering, or at least an event where one can watch the kiosk carefully for print abuse. You can limit within PBC, the number of times any one file can be printed, so the exposure (pardon the photographic pun) is low.

I say wedding because that's where I see more guests making pictures on their own.

I'll report back if anyone is curious.
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    <blockquote>I'm gonna start doing this too. And I'm not going to charge. It's free advertising. Why charge? You're getting emails, and they're posting posting on their Facebook to show other people. It's a win win situation.<div>
    </div><div>you get people to unclutter from the booth, you get free advertising, you get emails for subsciption emails, you get people to love the brand more because you're not asking for more money but you're giving them more. </div><div>
    </div><div>good job Lorne ;)</div><div>
    </div>
    </blockquote>thanks Minh.

That's what went through my mind. I learned long ago to stop giving clients a reason to say no. In my market, people hate being upsold, especially to do with weddings and events.

Maybe if/when the economy shifts again, it will be better.
  • Unknown
    <div>1. Are you charging an additional fee for this service? Care to share how much? Yes $99 if venue supplies internet, $149 if we provide internet</div><div>
    </div><div>2. What are people saying about the kiosk? I think they like getting stuff right on facebook and they seem to always go to their phone and then say "Wow, There it is"</div><div>
    </div><div>3. Are you using the venues wifi or a mifi/hotspot from a cellular provider? Who/what are you using? Both, Venue or our Mifi from verizon</div><div>
    </div><div>We get the most use from this at Bridal shows and Corporate Events. We have done a Corp events where we didnt even print and only had share stations</div><div>
    </div>
  • Mike
    Mike
    Great input Jamie, thank you! <div>
    </div><div>What are you using for a mobile hotspot?</div>
  • Mike
    Mike
    Thanks. I assume you have a unit for each of your booths.
  • Unknown
    no. We do not sell that many social kiosks. We only have 2
  • Mike
    Mike
    hmmm, was thinking that they might be a bit more popular in your market. I bet they start catching on a bit more this year.
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    I have this working on my home network. BYOB feeding it's composited files to PBC, making them available in the same grid.

The landscape shots are from the booth, the portrait shots from BYOB.

Will do this at my event tomorrow evening.
  • Mike
    Mike
    Nice Lorne. I couldn't get PBC to show both landscape and portrait in my first test run over the holidays. Did you have to set anything?
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    Not for that.

All that's unique I guess is that I have AllwaySync set to copy the contents of BYOB's COMPOSITE folder to the same folder as Breeze's PRINTS every minute. You can see that they are all set to the same height.

PBC just keeps populating the grid.
  • Mike
    Mike
    Thanks. I think I was experiencing a little quirk, will have to play some more.
  • Lucktech Photobooths
    Lucktech Photobooths
    I feel it necessary to charge something, the social software is not cheap. Relying on venue Internet I think would be a big mistake...........

I guess I am going to have to make a Facebook and twitter account and get started......being a teacher, social medial is a liability nightmare! Guess I am going to have to risk it. My mobile contract is up in July, I might even get a smart phone;0)
  • texasphotobox
    texasphotobox
    I am building a station for this now. I was planning on charging a fee for it, but see why it is not a good idea. I will offer it is a separate service and charge probably $250 for it. Then it will run BYO Booth. Otherwise it will work in conjuction with my current booth and run PPU
  • Unknown
    What are the major differences between BYO Booth and Photo Booth Connected? They look very similar, I'm having a hard time figuring out why there are two different products. I would use more of a kiosk set up because my booth screens are not touch screen.
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    BYOBooth is designed to take *multiple* incoming streams (Twitter, Instagram, email) of images created by guests at an event and group them together on a kiosk for printing and/or uploading to a single FB page.

PhotoBooth Connected is designed to take a *single* stream of images created by a photo booth and provide guests with multiple social sharing options (FB, Twitter, email and SMS) and printing.

Similar but different.
  • Unknown
    Got it. We would just need PBC then. Although I can see how cool that would be to bring photos from various sources together into one place. If you were at a sports arena they could take them and put them up on the big screen. Or at another event put them up on a large monitor.
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    I am working on this... using BYOB as an image source for PBC.

It does work.

One consideration you must make is the monitoring of the incoming images from the public. Depending of course on your event, images of "questionable taste" popping up on a large screen may be problematic (at best).
  • Unknown
    True - is there a software that can filter for too much boob?! :-)
  • Mike
    Mike
    Unfortunately the only reliable method is the human eye
  • texasphotobox
    texasphotobox
    @stryker BYO Booth grabs photos that have been # for the particular event. So guests can take photos with their smart phones and then they upload to the kiosk. PBC grabs photos shot inside the photo booth and puts them on another computer to view and/or print.<div>
    </div>
  • bitcraft
    bitcraft
    I will be doing this for my wedding and events after that. Should cut down an reprint requests!
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    <blockquote>I will be doing this for my wedding and events after that. Should cut down an reprint requests!</blockquote>

Huge.

Well worth the investment. It also has the side effect of getting your guests interacting with each other as they use the kiosk. The line for the kiosk becomes another place to socialize.
  • Unknown
    I think I will get a touchscreen computer and try out the PBC. I won't automatically print at the booth. they have to go to the "full service kiosk" where they can print and manage their electronic options (upload, email, text). That's how I have it envisioned. I'm nervous about it, but want to give it a try. I'm nervous about people needing help, but I'm talking to others interacting with the booth or having trouble with the printer and feeling torn between the booth line and kiosk line. Still going to give it a shot.