Mac Attack

PapaT
PapaT
I've been an Apple user for over 20 years. What software can you recommend for a Mac? Does anyone have experience using a mac mini for a photo booth? Or better yet, how about an ipad?

Comments

• LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    At the moment, the selection of full featured OSX booth applications is minimal relative to Windows. It is getting better for sure.

There is http://www.allenchristopher.com/photo-booth.html and http://www.dslrbooth.com/buy/ which has a "Pro" version that is Windows only, but does have an OSX version with fewer features.

On the social sharing side, there are fewer OSX choices. http://sparkbooth.com/ is really the only viable option that I am aware of.

There is nothing of commercial value/duty cycle for iPad in booth software, but there are good choices for social sharing that are iPad only. http://photopartyupload.com/ and http://picpicsocial.com/ are two I am aware of. It is an active "space" currently, so keep your eyes open.

Add to that driver support in the OSX world for dye-sub printers. Not all dye sub makers keep development of Windows/OSX drivers in step with each other. May or may not be a factor.

It is a Windows world for the most part.
  • Minh
    Minh
    dude.. i work for apple. lol i tried and tried and tried.. aint gonna work buddy. ;)
  • PapaT
    PapaT
    I appreciate both responses. I don't understand why it's a "Windows world", when Mac is so much more reliable. I often work with PC's when I have to, but I always buy Mac. Once I get past the sticker shock, I've always been happier with the Mac's performance. I'm more than happy to stick a cheaper computer, (PC) in a booth. However, I dread the real possibility of PC gremlins striking at a wedding.

I appreciate the responses. I won't try to fight it for now, I will just go with the flow until the flow changes.
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    In business, you use what you need to use.

I use both PCs and Macs. The perception that Macs are more reliable has its roots from quite a while ago and is not as accurate as it used to be.

There are, as in any discussion about "gear", pros and cons for either.

For operating a photo booth by computer, I am not convinced there will ever be a measurable advantage to an OSX application over a Windows application. Same with hardware.

Take picture, save file, make print. It's pretty simple.

If you read through the forums here, I think you'll find most of the gremlins being discussed are related to lighting and photography, not PC failures. And those that are PC related are usually cabling or power.

For social kiosks.. operators are drawn to iPads due to the form factor, not price or features. From what I hear, developing in IOS is preferable to Android, or else developers would have an Android solution out there and operators would use Android tablets over iPads in a heartbeat. There is no Apple loyalty involved. Now it's function over form.
  • Minh
    Minh
    Breeze has a DSLR for mac.. but.. you lose alot of options.. already tried and fail =
  • Mike
    Mike
    Lorne that may be the best response to the Mac vs PC debate we here over and over
  • PapaT
    PapaT
    I'm really grateful for the input. Your input has probably saved me a lot of money, and hours of aggravation. <div>
    </div><div>I'm contemplating building a tower for an open air set up. What would you recommend for computer, printer, touch screen and software. Now I'm thinking a PC lap top that has a touch screen that doubles as a tablet. What are your thoughts? <div>
    </div><div>I would really appreciate any insight you might have to offer.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks,</div><div>PapaT</div></div>
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    thanks Mike.

PapaT...

Here's what I use... take it as a recommendation if you wish. It works for me and the way I have chosen to deliver my photo booth.

I use Breeze Webcam with a MS Studio webcam. I use a small form factor Win7 PC connected to a 1920x1080 monitor. I have a touchscreen, but don't use it at every event. I prefer to trigger the booth sequence myself for every trip. I use a HiTi 510L printer.

I am a strong advocate for keeping the booth process as simple and uncomplicated as possible. No signs to read. No audio prompts. What I saw during my first events was guests just wanting to have fun. It has to be simple. IMO a tablet is too small an interface. Cool? Yes. Functional? No.

If you have any specific questions, ask away.
  • PapaT
    PapaT
    Since I'm not too familiar with the PC world, I really appreciate your insight. <div>
    </div><div>I wasn't trying to be cool with a tablet, I just thought it might save the expense of a separate touch screen. I also liked the idea of easily separating the computer from the system, to prep for the next event.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm so grateful that I don't have to reinvent the wheel.
    <div>
    </div><div>Thank you Lorne for your insight, I thank Minh for his input, and I thank Mike for initiating this site.</div></div><div>
    </div><div>PapaT</div>
  • bitcraft
    bitcraft
    I can understand where you are coming from PapaT, I avoid the windows OS when I can...but the software ecosystem isn't always kind to fringe users like us. A solution that I've used successfully is VirtualBox on a linux host with a simple Windows XP virtual machine.<div>
    </div><div>I love this because I have a snapshot of the running Windows XP OS that starts instantly and is ready to run. The best part is that I can just revert to an older snapshot and never worry about disk corruption, viruses, bugs, etc.</div><div>
    </div><div>You could easily do this on a mac host with VirtualBox or Parallels.</div>