Dark pictures?

goodtimestx
goodtimestx
Hi everyone,

For some reason we randomly get a dark photo. We don't understand why or when it happens, we will just get 1 photo dark and all the rest in the strip are fine. We have a mojo photo booth with a rebel t2i. Any advice on why it's happening and how we can fix it?

Comments

• LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    what flash are you using and how is it powered?

it also appears you may have your shutter speed set one stop too fast. At the very bottom of the brighter images, there is a dark horizontal band of underexposure.

please give us your exposure mode, aperture, ISO and shutter speed that you use.
  • nmilbourn
    nmilbourn
    I've had the same problem. I was using a canon speedlight. It always happened on the first picture after a short break in traffic from the photo booth. To fix it i had to press the test flash button before a new group came in for their photos.

i then bought a alienbees flash and had similar problems. For me the solution was to check the use external flash checkbox in Breeze.
  • Mike
    Mike
    Can you describe your hardware set up. Camera make model. Camera settings. Pb software.
  • goodtimestx
    goodtimestx
    We have a canon t2i. We use the flash from it and have breeze dslr software.

Lorne, "Please give us your exposure mode, aperture, ISO and shutter speed that you use" I'm sorry to say that I'm such a rookie that I don't know that info off hand. iso auto: 3200, does 845 sound like a number that you might be asking for.

Thanks for your help
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    ok... so are you using just a battery to power the camera, or are you using an ac adapter?

What is the delay between pictures? This is a setting within Breeze.

Without over complicating things... the answers to these 2 questions should allow us to help.

The likely issue is your flash is not recycling quickly enough. It is odd that it's the first picture in the sequence. It could also be the AUTO ISO setting being fooled by something, by that is less likely as the subjects are pretty much the same for each frame. Is that black background shiny?

We can deal with the dark bar at the bottom later.
  • bassqee
    bassqee
    shutter speed is the 1/(a number) setting - best to keep it at 1/125 or less to avoid the issues with synchronising with the flash (the dark band at the bottom).

Post a screenshot of the settings before you go into full screen mode.

as for the dark image - could be a recharge issue with the on camera flash or possibly a metering issue, your settings might show what could be the problem.
  • Mike
    Mike
    Thinking that a recharge issue could definitely be the issue here.
  • goodtimestx
    goodtimestx
    We use an a/c adapter. There is a 5 second delay between pictures. The background is dark gray with petals, not shiny.

Basqee, you want a screen shot of the camera before it is connected to the software? Or are you thinking this has to do with a Breeze computer software setting?

Thanks again for all your help!
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    <em>@goodtimestx wrote:</em><blockquote>We use an a/c adapter. There is a 5 second delay between pictures. The background is dark gray with petals, not shiny.

Basqee, you want a screen shot of the camera before it is connected to the software? Or are you thinking this has to do with a Breeze computer software setting?

Thanks again for all your help!</blockquote>

It's highly unlikely this has anything to do with Breeze. Breeze just sends commands. Like "take picture now". The camera does all the rest.

Is your ac adapter an actual Canon model, or a 3rd party? Do you have a backup adapter? Use it instead at your next live event, or better yet, have a fake event for testing. If the issue doesn't repeat, throw away the bad adapter and get another backup. An actual Canon model.

It is highly suggested you do not use cheap 3rd party adapters. 100% false economy. You may save a little money but add way too much risk of failure.

Do you know how many shutter activations the camera has? The piddly little flash in it is not built for a photo booth and it's multiple consistent usage. It has a life and you may be near the end of it.
  • goodtimestx
    goodtimestx
    Thanks so much all of you!

We do have an actual Canon a/c adapter. (Learned the hard way that the 3rd party ones will have connect to camera problems.) What should we use instead of the camera flash?
  • Mike
    Mike
    I think you'll find an overwhelming majority of us use the <a href="http://www.paulcbuff.com/alienbees.php">AlienBees</a> by Paul C. Buff.

I have also heard of some using <a href="http://amzn.to/12zNKpl">Cowboystudio 400W Studio Lights</a>
  • goodtimestx
    goodtimestx
    Hello! Another event and another few dark pics. I found the information you guys asked about: 1/60, f3.5 iso400.

We were wondering, could it be when they stand too close to the camera? Or when they use shiny objects that flash back at the camera, like pirate sword or shiny funny signs? If yes, is that precisely why you guys recommend additional lighting in the booth? How do we deal with the dark bar at the bottom of the pics?

We have a mojo photo booth, here is the inside of our booth. Should we buy the alienbees and put them in the top corners? What sort of our light output do we need?

Thanks again!
  • bassqee
    bassqee
    With those settings the dark bar is probably caused by the part of the pop up flash being covers by your booth when it fires so the light cant spread all the way down. In the end i would never rely on the cameras pop up flash unless i really had to so a continuous light source or flash would help out a lot. It will also allow you to up your aperture allowing for more in-focus area.
  • LorneChesal
    LorneChesal
    IMO, none of those exposures are correct, but the first one is less correct than the others. Forgive my comment, but I don't think this booth has been designed with good photographic principles in place. Not your fault at all.

For your shiny object theory... that can happen, but I don't believe it is here. The little white sign she is holding in the first frame is not large enough to have this much of an effect. Also... there are way more dark tones in the frame than light, so if the auto metering was being fooled, I would see it going the other way. Overexposures. I don't know Canon well, but there is likely a place within the FLASH menu to turn OFF any metering for the flash and use it in full manual mode. I would check that out.

There are a few ways to address this. You could raise the level of ambient light in the booth, so the flash has "less" to do. That extra light however would have to match the color output of the flash. ie"~5000 degrees K That little light bar on top can't possibly light up a cave like your booth is.

Or you could add a Canon shoe mount flash which has more power, or as you asked, studio strobes. Same light quality, more ooomph.

Short term , I would raise the ISO from 400 to 1600. This will work the flash less and could very well be the issue. There will be no visible noise/grain once the frames are laid out and printed on a 4x6.
  • Minh
    Minh
    you boys are corerect, it is a recharge issue. The speed light isn't gonna be as reliable as a studio flash esp if you're doing photos one right after another. You have a choice here tho. If you wanna stick with 4 photos, just go buy a cheapo studio flash that recharges a lot faster. Or if you wanna keep that flash, either (1) add another second onto your timer, or (2) take it down to 3 photos instead of 4. (i do the three photo now, and i'm able to make the actual photo bigger so people see be seen better in them.. here's an example.
  • Minh
    Minh
    and you do need alot more light inside the booth man.. or turn up the power on the flash higher. your AV should be a low number too since your set up is pretty dark already.
  • goodtimestx
    goodtimestx
    Thanks guys,

I am changing the ISO based on your advice and turning down the AV #. We also bought a couple of lights to put up in the booth. Hope all this helps. We have been in business a couple of years and only recently have we started having these little problems. Camera died, printer giving us errors. I guess this is what happens when your equipment gets old. We recently bought a backup printer and a backup camera. Next we need a backup laptop. - Minh I know you switched to mac mini, any other recommendations?

Thanks so much
  • Mike
    Mike
    You might also check out https://photoboothowners.com/working-in-low-light-situations for some tips. You do not want your shutter too slow or you'll get motion blur and opening up your aperture too much will shrink your depth-of-field. This becomes a problem when lots of people are in your booth. Those in the back look to be miles away.
  • Daytona photo booth
    Daytona photo booth
    My first time posting here. I am having the same problem. It is so random that i can't pinpoint it either. When we first had the booth we used a Canon 50D with 550speed light.

I bought my partner out so I bought a T2I to replace his camera. At that point is when it started having the inconsistency. I have tried every setting from full manual to full auto. The flash was has fresh batteries and it would not flash on the first picture. I use a Canon a/c adapter and have 7seconds delay before each pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Daytona Photo Booth
  • Localnjphotobooths
    Localnjphotobooths
    Another possibility is flashes from other cameras in the room tricking your sensors into thinking it doesn't need additional light. I use external fash with umbrella on one side of the camera ad a fill in on the other side. It works out fantastic, but sometimes dark pix appear when there is another photographer near the booth
  • Localnjphotobooths
    Localnjphotobooths
    Also , I strongly recommend the ac adapter. Batteries can't handle the recycling time
  • Daytona photo booth
    Daytona photo booth
    I figured out the the flash is going to sleep even though I have the setting to stay on.

Dan